"Starting Over" Part 1

ck508

I took out all of the live rock and water today. I also took off the HOB Filter, two of the Hydor Koralias and Heater. I cleaned the tank and all. Step 2 will take place next weekend, were I put in 29 gallons of water, 40 pounds of live sand, and all the 28 pounds of dry rock and 4 pounds of live rock. And put in 2 cocktail shrimp to start my Nitrogen Cycle.

Please tell me if I forgot any steps

OHmariner

Why are you starting over? I assume you have everything up an running again? You would have to give us a lot more information to help out. If I was over-hauling a tank like you are it would take days to clean or replace plumbing, dissassemble the pump and clean them, to soak parts in vinigar to remove calcium build-up and coraline algea, etc, etc

Reddog170

WOW what a task. I know of a lot of reasons to restart. You are going about things good. I would have also done like OHmariner said and cleaned the plumbig with vinager.
I would also consider getting all new test kits as well, they do go bad.
Pics would be great as well, Shaun

Blitzburggirl

Not sure how big the tank is, but, I wouldn't add the cocktail shrimp, and certainly, if you are really set on doing it, not two.

Your live rock and sand should do just fine to initiate your cycle.

carlo

I wouldn't add the shrimp either.

Depending on what you're salvaging, your tank might not even go through another cycle. Provided you use the same rocks,sand and some water(all live and heated), you might be fine.

TylerHaworth

I highly disagree with both of the posts saying not to use a deli/cocktail shrimp to re-establish your bio-filter. Do not cut any corners especially since this is a multi-week process and everything will be handled/cleaned and out of water for extended periods of time. Notice both posts either said you "should" be fine or "might be fine... with my systems I prefer to utilize tried and true processes that will guarantee I will be fine...

With only reading your original post and none of the replies I would say you have a very good process laid out in front of you, make sure everything is as clean as possible (vinegar baths, etc.) and leave your lights OFF while the nitrifying bacteria colonizes and you should be well on your way to a new system!

carlo

^^ almost nothing in this hobby is set as fact, hence the use of "should be fine" rather than "you will be fine".
Not adding the shrimp doesn't mean any corners are being cut.

In any case, make sure your shrimp is raw (obviously), and wrap it in a mesh of some sort. It'll make it easier to dispose of later on, should your tank go through another cycle. Old pantyhose can be used for this. Cut a piece off and stick the shrimp inside.

Good luck.

steved13

PREMIUM
Since the OP was almost 5 months ago I think/hope the shrimp is long gone by now LOL.