starting my own business

Amphibious

Heliux said:
I mean with the economy exploding right now

I think you really meant imploding.

One of the problems in fragging as you mentioned is to put that money aside for your dream business. Money is in short supply right now and we have so many places for it to go.

Be money wise and prudent with it.

Dick

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
if you plan on selling frags out of the house you need a aquaculture liscense. as well as a fish resale certificate. if the house is in a deed restricted neighborhood kiss the business goodbye. Most HOA's down allow a business to be ran from the house. If you plan to do it in an apartment forget about it also, every lease has a section saying no running a business out of a leased building.

Heliux

yes imploding is a better word for it. but i didnt know i needed a license to sell fish/coral. . . Can you tell me where i would find the class to pass so that i could get that license and have that out of the way so that i can get my roots growing? Also what is in high demand for coral?

SubRosa

An Aquaculture License is something that will vary from state to state. Because of the danger of introducing foreign species I understand why you'd need one in FL, but I bet if you asked the powers that be in CO about one they'd give you a blank stare! Check with whatever state body regulates hunting and fishing in CO.

John

Adam Black

Also what is in high demand for coral?

Anything Exotic will sell! Xenia,leathers, mushrooms are great but don't expect to sell them for very much. Some monti caps are in high demand right now, and from my own experience they grow the fastest. You need to have enough assortment for everyone(beginner/novice/expert). I would also start out with a few colonies of zoo's. NOTHING BROWN! If it were me I would get enough money for a frag tank with all the extra's(lighting,sump,skimmer,reactor,etc). About 4 months ago I drove 2 hours north for a frag pack of 15 sps, some exotic but mostly basic. Asked the guy what he makes a month and he replied 1000.00. Of course he had another source of income, so everything he made off his coral was profit. It would be easy in my area to start off a little frag tank and make some money out of my house. The stores around me are still using coralife skimmers and selling seaclones to there new customers. Everything they sell is brown. Brown sps, brown Lps, Brown softies! Sell off craigslist...it's free. I wouldn't sell fish yet. I'm sure I will have more for you. If you have any questions let me know.

BigJay

don't forget about occupational licensure and a federal tax ID. Its possible you can claim it as a hobby on your taxes but you better believe if your leaving a paper trail Uncle Sam is going to want to see what you made so he gets his cut. Selling a dozen or so frags a year is far different then making a business out of it. Lots to take into consideration.

Heliux

Ive decided instead of sitting and *****ing about stuff and why things wont work to just try hard to make it succeed, and if it doesnt, atleast i can say i tried.

BigJay

Ive decided instead of sitting and *****ing about stuff and why things wont work to just try hard to make it succeed, and if it doesnt, atleast i can say i tried.

Amen brother. But you do need to make a plan. You'll probably leave out a few things and find you need to make changes as the days go on, but when stuff is getting crazy its a big relief to look at the plan. Its like giving your self advice for later while your seeing straight for the times you feel like your moving 100 directions at once.

Heliux

I think i just lost my job at petsmart due to my *Inconvienient* mental disabilities so what else do i have to lose. Im taking notes, searching the we for best priced suppliers, and imma take like 6 months to get everything fool proof and set up so that when the recession/depression is over, i can succeed! Also this is a good time to search craigslist for cheap stuff due to the recession/depression. people will want to get rid of stuff quick and cheap and i can benifit from it:) sounds horrible, but got to look out for myself.

Also, no license needed to sell fish/coral in Colorado. Need business license, business ID, and Tax License so that will be fairly simple i guess:)

BigJay

Also this is a good time to search craigslist for cheap stuff due to the recession/depression. people will want to get rid of stuff quick and cheap and i can benifit from it:) sounds horrible, but got to look out for myself.

Don't feel bad. Those people will be happy to sell it to you. Your taking advantage of a good situation but your not actively swindling anyone. Everythings cheap right now and your helping the economy by keeping money moving. All that means your doing a good thing not a bad. Keep your chin up.

Heliux

hopefully ill be able to sell my paintball gear and some old stuff to get some money coming in to buy things for cheap:)

rmlevasseur

This is a great attitude. Just remember though that every positive decision we make means we make a negative decision on something else. Sometimes you can't go back.

BigJay

wow that was waay to philisophical for me.
Positive- I am going to eat some ice cream
Negative - my belly is going to continue to grow
Fact- can never go back.. amen cause I ain't dieting.

I feel you brother. Preach on preach on. :)

CATALYST

Are you good with your hands? Maybe learn how to do something else related to fish....make some product. Learn how to work with plexi or make something you use everyday that someone can't live without. There are other ways to run a business.
I'm just happy that my frags grow at the rate that my chemicals run out. I usually just trade in my frags at the LFS for stuff I need to keep the tank going. I give them some xenia and whatnot and they give my some b-ionic...or whatever. You could work at a LFS and be the best employee you can be...learn the ins and outs. Find out more about what happens behind the scenes...how they order, when they buy, how the bills get paid, how to care for a whole store system, etc.
Maybe even work at a small retail shop that is not fish related. Get to be a manager and find out how demanding it is to run a crew of other folks.
I run a small business and there is more to it than just a love of the hobby. Your hobby can also quickly become your worst nightmare. Sometimes its best to leave hobbies as hobbies. I had to find new hobbies after mine turned into a business. For example...the last thing an electrician wants to do when he gets home is relax by wiring his house.
You may also consider a service oriented business. You could run a tank cleaning service and fix people's sick fish.

Heliux

I wish i had people willing to work with me and have the same dream as me with a great business...

i am but iwant to be a marine biologist, and im the type of person that makes work my life... so my job is my life, having purpose to wake up in the morning. I think i can do it..

LPS_Blasto

Just start very small and sell frags locally. Set up a small frag tank and be patient.

I did the same thing. My display tank got full, so I set up a 10g frag tank. Cycled it and put the lights on it. A couple months later I cut a bunch of stuff out of the display tank and cut them up into smaller frags. Then I put them in the frag tank and started advertising on websites. All you can do is keep on enjoying the hobby and sell a few frags if people want them. I don't intend to ever turn my little 10g frag tank into a business. It's just there to keep the display from becoming over-crowded. I make a few bucks a month off it. The frag tank buys salt and a few exotic LPS for my display. Thats about it. I feel darn lucky to even get that. It's not consistent though. I sold about $200 worth of frags in August and $300 for September. Nothing in October yet. It might be December before I sell another $20 frag. I don't know what I'll do if the frags start to outgrow the frag tank. I'm NOT setting up a larger frag tank. :surrender: Give 'em away?

The best advice I could give anyone would be to start slow and get your NAME out there. Your name and your word mean EVERYTHING. If you tell a guy you will ship on Tuesday--then you better do it. The fastest way to ruin your name is to make promises and then ship late.