starting my own business

Witfull

Bob. underground farmer extroidonaire~

i just want to go to Amsterdam the week after i retire.

SubRosa

Bob set up a wine or beer making operation to generate the CO2 to run your calcium reactor and enrichment system!

John

naperenterprise

Are you an 18 year old guy or gal?
I'm confused now...lol

Keep the dream alive. If you want to succeed take on one challenge at a time.

Start by fraging a few things, and learning business.
How much will the electric bill cost? Water, salt, stuff....?

Once you establish your overhead expenses and realize how much money things cost, you will understand how much you NEED to charge for these little frags.

Keep the dream alive. This is a great thread, but honestly its not even ready for discussion... But don't let it go, follow your dreams, just don't loose your pants.

or i could be suzy cottonpanties:D

BEELZEBOB

id say once you have a sweet 200gal+ system established and producing enough growth to start fragging, start selling.

then once the tank starts making you enough profit, set up a HUGE frag farm in your like garage.

use these websites and the reputation you build to sell

look at Woodstock. i dont even wanna guess how well she is doin breeding and selling her picasso clows.

bUT, shes got a rep. a good one at that. she went out of her way to aid me with catching a damsel. (we live on opposite ends of the country)

and soooo when it comes to like droppin bones and full bills, its a deal sealer to have a reputation such as Doni's.

put it to you this way, im buying a new light.

i fount it @ one kinda, risky website, and w/ a fellow RS member.

i plan on paying about 30ish bucks more to buy it from our homeboy, only for piece of mind.

everything is kinda pricey in this hobby, so POM is goooooooooooooooooood,

Heliux

yes, one step at a time...
im a guy, just being funny up above.
Also if anyone wants to buy white tip pop pom xenia i have a couple frags, They love doing the pulsing action as well. May have a deal with blue xenia, just need to follow up with this local fella. Also have green/white polyp pocillopora and quite a few frags of that if anyone wants.

Smiley1

Not sure if this has been said or not but Ill give ya my opinion. You may have to read between the lines here.

Start out with a maintenance company. You can do setups and maintenance by buying your stuff local and marking it up just a little. As time goes on, you will find that some tanks grow quite fast and you will be able to get some of the overgrowth and resell it. Let your customers be the growing fields for a small online/local coral selling business out of your home. Give them a little discount off their maintenance cost and they will be more than happy to keep you coming back and taking their corals. I used to trade a small frag of something for the overgrowth a customer had. It gave them something new and gave me tons of stuff to restock my coral supply. It ends up being a hobby that gains some profit in 2 different ways.

lcstorc

Keep dreaming but realize it will take a long time for it to be a reality if ever. Dreams are great to have and a wonderful thing to hang onto when things get rough.
Go to school and get your degree. Then you can decide what to do. With a degree in marine biology you may decide opening a LFS is not what you want to do. You may want to do something else to preserve or study our natural reefs.
If I remember correctly, this started because you were upset about fish being mistreated. There are many ways you can help prevent that. I consider being a member of RS a part of it. I study and learn from others here and in turn help out others. Then we can all have more successfull tanks which equals more happy and healthy fish and less stress on the reefs we love.
I love your spirit but there are lots of things you can do to achieve your ultimate goal of helping the animals.

Heliux

Ya... Maybe ill just stick with the petsmart job, and sell frags in the meantime just to make money to get myself new corals and salt ect... Marine biology or whatever the study major for coral is i want to study... Coral of any type is fascinating to me. I come on here to learn as well and in the mean time read everything the reef aquarium articles have to say about anything to do with saltwater.