starting my FOWLR tank

PJtree23

Hey whats up my fellow reefers (guess im not a real reefer yet but anyway...)

I have collected supplies for my 30 gal FOWLR tank.

I purchased live rock that has been running in another tank for a while as well as 20 gal of the water it was in. I also have some rock from petco with good pruple color and hydra looking creatures.

I was also given a peppermint shrimp, hermit crab, fiddler crab, and snail. The tank is setup and running now (will get pics soon).

Hypothetically if my water tests turn out favorable can I purchase fish for it or do I have to wait for more live rock growth?

I am confused because I was reading the reef-land article for strarting a FOWLR setup which instructs me to simply wait, do water changes and monitor water parameters.

What am I waiting for?:coffee:

Thanks for helping a newbie out...flame suit on :rocket:

PJ

PJtree23

looks good...only 6 months before I add my first fish...riiiiiiight

I like how there is no explanation given as to why so much time is needed. If you watch the guides on youtube including the one by DrF&S, supposedly its 1 week from the start to adding your first fish.

But like the article states "if you want your fish to simply live...please quit the hobby...they are supposed to thrive"

Things like this make me question...do we own the fish or do the fish own us?

If you really want to do an aquarium "right", just don't make one at all and go scuba diving....that way the live rock has cured for 1000's of years making the perfect habitat....not a meager 6 months.

PJ

lcstorc

I think you may want to read the thread again.
The sources you mention are speaking of an old outdated method of cycling a tank. To cycle a tank, you need an amonia source. It used to be thought that a live fish was needed and more times than not those fish died a horrid death of nitrite poisoning. We now understand the cycling process much better and realize that any amonia source will start off the bacteria cycle. Many of us use a piece of seafood or shrimp from the deli put into the tank to decompose and add amonia to the tank. There are people that use straight amonia and just about anything else.
As far as the time it will take, that depends on too many variables to even begin to guess. It will depend on the quality of your LR. your water source, water temperature and a thousand other things.
The only thing that happens quickly in a reef tank is a crash. Yes the thread mentioned is a conservative approach but it is also the one to most likely to succeed long term without harm to the inhabitants of your tank.

Die-off in your live rock should get the ammonia cycle going. Test for: ammonia, and if you get no reading, test for nitrites. If you still get no reading, test for nitrates. Unless your tank is at least 2 weeks old, you should get a reading. Wait until you get no reading for nitrates before adding fish. Also, before adding fish, test for pH and alkalinity (carbonate hardness). pH should be about 8.2, and alk should be between 8-12 dkh.

There is no exact formula for how long to wait, but while you're waiting for your new tank to stabilize, read about the animals you're planning to keep.

And keep asking questions; questions are good!

It all depends on how long it takes your tank to cycle. My last tank took two weeks to cycle but I used all live rock and live sand from my other tank. My bro-in-law's tank took two to three months to cycle because he used new everything. Just be patient. Check your parameters daily. Once it goes through the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate cycle your pretty much good to go as long as all your other parameters like pH, temp, etc are good.

ramjet33

ah schucks guys! just take some fish food or an old shrimp and leave it in the tank till it gets the tank smellin "real good"! then you will get your cycle. (old school) lol.