Starfish

jesse_224

My kids are driving me crazy wanting me to get a starfish. Is there a reef safe starfish that can live in a 10 gal tank????

blue_eyes53813

starfish are hard to keep and need ALOT of bugs/liverock to feed off of... It will most likely starve in a 10 gallon tank... They are also very sensitive to nitrates/ water changes... Sorry

Dragon Wrasse

Usally only smooth skinned starfish are considered reef-safe such as the blue starfish (linckia laevigata) these can get to be up to 15 inches and require a minimum of 75 gallons with ample live rock to graze on. the only starfish reef safe and able to live in a Nano tank would be the orange starfish (F. monilis) or the red starfish (F. elegans) also known as "Fromia" these stay small but as with all starfish Water Quality has to be PREMIUM (exstremly high water quality) and the animial will not survive for long unless it is PROPERLY ACCLIMATED, these animals are extremely sensitive to fluctuations in water chemistry, they must adjust to new aquarium conditions VERY gradually. Hope this helps.....just my two cents.......P.S. BTW Chocolate chip's seem to be the most hardy of the starfish but are NOT Reef Safe.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ditto to Dragon Wrasse... I would hold off on a starfish purchase until you upgrade the size of your aquarium.