starfish has chunks out of him?

theskunk

i brought home a starfish from work friday and noticed today that he has white blotches on him that he didnt have when i brought him home. my question is do you think that my bi-color blenny would have taken a fiew tastes of him? the spots look about the size and shape of his mouth, or would my crabs be doing it? and should i just let him heal on his own?

burning2nd

star, fish's can move pritty fast, when its time for them to hawl azz.

what kind of star fish,

what else is in your tank?

how much do you feed?

how bid is your system and whats in it?

chance's are you will have more then 1 star fish soon, (damaged legs and body parts regrow bodys)

i dont know about tri color blenny's but i kinda wanna lean twards the no, i dont think he would have takeing a chung outta it.

it is possabul i guess. i really dont know if blenny would do that. but the crab is deffently a option.

if the tank is hungry and the crab got close 2 him. theres a really really good chance that it would try takeing a chunk outta the star fish.

keep your eyes, peeled and take a pic post it

blue_eyes53813

How long did you acclimate the star for??? They are very hard to acclimate and one of mine did that and it ended up very sick and eventually died...i dont think the blenny would of did it , nor the hermits... any other livestock in your tank? How long did the lfs have it??? I hope it turns out good for you

BoomerD

Again, what kind of starfish? Blue linkias are famous for disintegrating in our tanks...

theskunk

not really sure what kind he is but i feed regularly we sell him at the store as a common starfish but i will research and find a name he is pretty fast so i dont thin the crabs would catch him the tank is a 25gal waiting for the 90gal to be set up, i will try to get a pic of the wounds but i am afraid the quality wont be very good all i have at the moment is a cellphone camera

theskunk

he has the shape of a linkia but a rust color and has kinda of a spikey body...i dripped aclimated him for about 2 hours

Charlie97L

if he has white spots on him, and pieces are missing, from what i've ready on WetWeb, it's likely dying. do the edges around the missing parts look cut, or like it's falling apart?

also, another way to check touch it and see if it's soft... that's another indicator it's going downhill. sea stars should be firm, almost hard, when healthy.

if it has white spots, is missing pieces out of it, and is soft, i'd remove him from your tank, before it dies and pollutes the water.

just because he was at the store, and ok, doens't mean he made the transition to your tank ok...

did you check the water parameters in the acclimation container and your tank to make sure they matched? also, do you have big temperature swings in your tank daily? sea stars are actually more sensitive to temp swings than anything else. 2 hours is a bit on the short side for these guys, i acclimated my blue linckia over like 4-5 hours.

theskunk

water paramiters matched. he is still hard, they are actually chunks like bite marks and it looks as if he is already healing...my temp might change a degree or two in a day no big swings

theskunk

here is another pick taken late lastnight turned on the lights just for a min to take it

Attachments

• star.jpg
    star.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 53

theskunk

ok well i was checking him to make sure he was still firm and not going soft on me and he is but slimey and his skin is rubbing right off.....so deciding rather be safe than sorry i removed him....now i would like to dry him out and keep the skeleton any suggestions on how to do that

my first casualty for this tank kinda sad

theskunk

he is officially dead and enjoying his home in the trash when i took him out he completely melted a reddish brown mush kinda gross

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Most starfish are very sensitive to change in parameters ph, oxygen, salinity etc. and in small tanks these swings can be drastic. It appears yours died from bacterial infection which is very common.