Stainless Steel / Reef tank

Brucey

Guys . . . . do we know if stainless steel is safe for a reef tank. I'm making my own ground probe and have been to several cycle shops over here and none of them stock titanium cycle spokes. However they do stock stainless steel spokes which conduct eletricity and as far as I'm aware do not rust . . . . . . .

Anyone know any different or should I not be using stainless steel in a reef tank. Thanks all

Brucey

BoomerD

From working on the ocean for the past dozen or so years Bruce, I can attest to the fact that MOST stainless steels will indeed rust...Some of the higher grade formulations might resist salt water much better, but I think eventually, it all will oxidize to a certain degree...Y'know, most of us would be willing to order a ground probe from one of the local suppliers and ship it to ya...I think we've been through this before...

If nothing else, and you're bent on DIY'ing this, try using a search engine to find titanium rods or wire in your area...might help...

Brucey

BoomerD . . . . thanks bud. I might take you up on that mate as I've looked everywhere for a ground probe over here and I'm having no luck tracking down any titanium parts . . . . . . I'll PM you if I need to mate. Thanks for being a buddy
Brucey

BoomerD

Which kind do you prefer?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3946&Ne=40000&R=9419&N=2004+113171
pw_604047.jpg

Or this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TA1111
TA1111.jpg

The top unit attaches with a screw to the center screw grounding lug in a U.S. electrical outlet...Not sure how it could connect to one of yours,, and the bottom one has a plastic plug, that also has a wire that attaches to the center screw for crounding.
Both are good units, and only about $1.50 difference, just let me or any of us know.

Last edited:

Brucey

Boomer . . . . . Lets go for the Marine Depot unit. It looks easier to put in an envelope and send across the atlantic. The Drs unit looks like it could impale the air baggage handler . . . . perish the though eh.
The connection to a UK plug will be easy enough. Just chop off the US plug and connect to the earth of a UK plug.
Have you got a Paypal account mate. Let me know the full amount with posting etc and I'll send to you immediatley. Your a star buddy.
Brucey

Craig Manoukian

I agree with BoomerD, good choice Brucey. Just to further BDs comments, you need a grounded anodized corrosion inhibitor on boat motors to help protect the stainless steel.:D

Brucey

Thanks Craig. Boomer, PM'd you back. You the main. An enormous peice of good will and Karma coming your way.
Brucey