Squamosa clam help please!!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have had my Squamosa clam now for a few months and all has been well with it up until now. One half of it has a tear in the blue flesh so that you can now see right through it. It is also staying open most of the time, even at night when it is usually closed. I have it placed on the sandbed and it seems to cop a fair bit of flow and was wondering if this could have caused it? Is there any chance it will repair itself or is it a goner? Hopefully someone can help as I really don't want to lose it.

tnwillia

Hey Leigh, I have not found anything searching your discription. Hope others will jump in and good luck with it!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I don't believe flow would've caused it have you noticed your Foxface nipping at it at all ? Can it repair itself ? Yes it can but it'll depend on how healthy the clam is and how good water quality/chemistry is.

lethal

I don't believe flow would've caused it have you noticed your Foxface nipping at it at all ? Can it repair itself ? Yes it can but it'll depend on how healthy the clam is and how good water quality/chemistry is.

Hey Robert, I haven't seen any fish nipping at it but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened though. It is my first ever clam and from what I have read it does seem to be a healthy specimen so hopefully it can repair itself.

Does it still close if you pass your hand between it and the light?

Yes, when a fish passes over it, it does close up.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
That is good Leigh !!! that it will close !

I went & tested mine for you... we added them about the same time... here mine when I pass my hand between it & light

Click on pic to see him close.

Some good feedback above ... hopefully he will heal & RS members can offer you some more advise !

lethal

Cheers Glenn. I noticed you have yours on your rock. Should I put a rock under the sandbed so that he can attach himself? I initially tried putting him on my rocks but couldn't find a suitable stable spot and I don't trust my bulldozer snails.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lynn is it a real good sign of his health, if he will still close?

In googling I just read about a clam that tore his mantel closing on a snail & he healed.

Jackalope

question: does it still Have its foot? most the failures come from the lack of the foot being ripped off from LFS ignorance. few months later it dies. the tear on the other hand... hrmm if it's in good shape it will repair itself. if it doesnt react to the shadow trick, its more than likely doomed. btw quick read on clams from ORA and where they should be:

Aquacultured Tridacna Clams | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums

Jackalope

question: does it still Have its foot? most the failures come from the lack of the foot being ripped off from LFS ignorance. few months later it dies. the tear on the other hand... hrmm if it's in good shape it will repair itself. if it doesnt react to the shadow trick, its more than likely doomed. btw quick read on clams from ORA and where they should be:

Aquacultured Tridacna Clams | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums