sps requirement

milk

Hi there,

may i know what is the requirement for the sps, the equiment that it need? cause im interested in sps or maybe lps. but recently i bought a glove coral which is not attach to any rock. It doesnt open up tho. my tank is 2.5 feet. rose anemone and red base anemone doing well.
Lighting is 150W MH. with two gieseman actinic+.
dymax skimmer .

BigJay

when you say 2.5 feet I assume you mean 30" 's wide? A single 150 may or may suffice depending on the other tank dimensions like dank depth. Like a 20L or a 29 it would be fine but a 37g would be pushing it. Upgrading to a single 250w would be my recommendation in that case. In all 3 tanks SPS would tend to be better suited for the middle of the tank. Your outer couple inches on each side are probably not receiving much if anything from the halide.
Other than that a good skimmer and strong water flow are the only equipment requirements. Keeping water quality as close to pristine is a must which just means keeping up with maintenance and doing water changes. A reef dedicated salt mix would be a must along with using RO/DI water. SPS brown out quickly in the presence of organics and polyp extension can quickly disappear.

milk

thanks for the info, you are right , my tank is 30'' wide.
currently i fail to keep the glove polyps. if im going for sps is there any equipment that i need? like calc reactor or maybe kalk reactor?

BigJay

nope. Very few tanks really need a calcium reactor or kalkwasser drip. Water changes will usually supply all the calcium and trace elements like magnesium that the tank will require. Your talking such a small volume of water that even if larger water changes are needed then the typical 20% a month it would be cheaper and easier then running a reactor.