SPS question (kinda long)

semigodd154

I was given a 1in frag of acropora about 3 months ago that was broken off the main colony during a move as far as color goes it was a muddy brown looked close to dead but I am a softie so i took it. Now here is my question after the time i have had the coral it has grown to about 3in and 8 branches 3 of which are new and 1 of the others has embedded right to a rock but my question is for the color the polyps are brownish red but the body has a green tint to it under actinics and it looks a little light green under regular lighting but since I have no idea what the actual original color of the colony was do you think that this thing is gonna stay green or is it possible that it is just in transition to another color. I would venture to guess that this coral is healthy mainly because of the growth which i would guess is pretty fast and because it has regained some color.
Also the polyps never close on this frag and the are big I would say they are half the size of a pencil eraser but the branches are only as big as a pencil themselves I just wish I had a picture but any ideas would be helpful thanks in advance.

Shaun

reefrunner

Contributing Member
More than likely your seeing it color to your lights. Acros are funny that way, brown under certain light scheems very colorful under others. If I had to guess, I'd say it is gonna be a green acro ;)

semigodd154

thats what i was thinking but its funny it came from a tank with 250watt MH and was growing really well there my tank only has 2 96wt powerquads and the coral is about 8 inches from the light I was just surprised i think that it would color up more under lesser light but then again im no expert lol just lucky i guess.

JB NY

Sounds to be healthy from your discription, colors are not always the same in different tank. Also, might be montipora sp. from the way you discribe the polyps.

semigodd154

JB NY I did a search for the montipora sp but the only one i found was a plating type i did find a pic of acropora sp
it looks more like the one I found but it is still a little more brown and the polyps on mine are bigger.