SPS? ID/Suggestions

zoolatry

Okay, so my live rock came encrusted with some coral skeletons which I assumed were quite dead. But, upon closer examination, I looked at this one:
coral.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a lens for my camera that is good for this sort of photography; most of the money's been tied up in the tank lately, lol.

Anyway, after looking closely at this particular coral, I began to suspect that it might be alive: It looks like it is covered with tiny, minute active polyps. They are brownish/tan, and extremely small. It is not a coating of algae or scum, and it appears to look similar to extremely (much less than 1mm) short, small, and in places where the coral is broken, the covering ends smoothly at the break and does not cover the plane of fracture.

So, is this an SPS? Could it be alive? If so, what can I do for it? My tank is new, but my ammonia and nitrites have already spiked and gone down to 0, and I have decent lighting - 4 X 39W T5 HO. I haven't done a whole lot of research into SPS yet, as I haven't expected to have one until way down the road.

Thanks in advance.