Sps bleached white almost overnight?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What's goin on here? Has anybody experienced this? Its happened quick. It almost seems as if something was introduced n the water but nothing was.
2011-09-17_10-40-26_609.jpg

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

Robzilla

Anything change in lighting or flow? Are your params stable and what are they? Anything else looking bad in the tank?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Wow Matt.....in the second pic it loks like the top is browning.......and then it turns white........My guess would be lighting. How are the bulbs above it?

dmatt88

Anything change in lighting or flow? Are your params stable and what are they? Anything else looking bad in the tank?

Hey Rob. Water parameters r perfect for my tank. No trites trates etc. Been 4 days since water change. Everything else in the tank looks perfect. The only change I've made is directing flow away from the acro. The korilea was aimed directly at it and it started to whiten so I moved it.

dmatt88

Wow Matt.....in the second pic it loks like the top is browning.......and then it turns white........My guess would be lighting. How are the bulbs above it?

Hey Bryan. The t5 lights above are about 8 months old. Im seeing brown at the base n its looking about dead in places.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That's weird....is it possible just this acro has a disease or something? I say that because if everything else is doing good then this coral $hitting the bed may be isolated.

dmatt88

I don't get it. For giggles im gettin water ready for a 10 gal change n pray. Im wondering if I should frag off the healthy

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
without any "justification", I would cut it back to try and save the healthy piece.......the white a goner.

Is is whitening further down the coral?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Has to be a disease man.....you can see it brown then turn white from your pictures.....i'd cut it and see if you can save it

Sorry Homie

dmatt88

Just noticed my pinktail trigger nipping on it. Wonder if that's playing in on the bleaching

BLADEYAMAHA

Not sure about the trigger, but maybe disease? Not to tick you off with that possibility. Pinktail Triggers aren't really reef safe, so maybe it is the trigger fish.

steved13

PREMIUM
FWIW I'd give it the smell test, if it doesn't pass, get the polution out of the tank. The necrotic tissue can pollute pretty quickly.

dmatt88

FWIW I'd give it the smell test, if it doesn't pass, get the polution out of the tank. The necrotic tissue can pollute pretty quickly.

After the game I'll get to cutting. Seems that's the consensus opinion