Spawning clown gobies

Paul B

I like clown gobies because they are a very bright yellow, very peaceful, cheap, and reef safe. Except when they spawn. They like to live on and spawn on acropora corals and wherever they lay their eggs, kills that part of the coral. But luckily for my acropora, this pair only spawns on one specimen of acropora and so far have not laid eggs or bothered any of my others.
These two have been laying eggs about every two weeks like clockwork for over a year and I finally decided to collect some of the fry to see what they looked like. I am not geared up to raise these little guys as I would need some rotifers and some free time.
I designed a fry collector to collect these and all egg layer fry as long as they lay the eggs on something as opposed to eggs that float.
The collector consists of a container with a tube going into it. The tube is positioned on the eggs and an airline pushes bubbles up the tube along with the fry as they hatch. You need a way to exhaust the water from the container while keeping the tiny fry so I used a screen from the inside of a RO membrane. There are two parts to a RO device. One is the membrane that only allows water molecules to pass and another very tiny screen that will let water pass but not these tiny fry.
I drilled a 2" hole on the side of the container and placed a piece of the screen on that, then I took another piece of acrylic and drilled the same diameter hole and using a rubber band attached that piece of plastic over the hole in the container sandwiching the screen in between the two pieces of acrylic.
The thing worked flawlessly and collected a bunch of fry that took a week to hatch.
If I wanted to raise these gobies I could leave them in that container for a while as water constantly flows through it or I could transfer them to a rearing tank.

Here is a gobi a few days after emerging, still in it's egg.

This guy is a few hours after hatching.

And a video of the collecting device.

Paul B

These guys are amazing, the eggs just hatched two days ago and they laid another large batch in the same spot

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I went and read the reviews for the little Clown Gobies...I shouldn't have cause now, I'd really like to have one. But I'm already over my fish stocking limit. :( (And I do NOT want a bigger tank ;) )
Such a very cute peaceful little fish. Wondering if there's a real outward noticeable difference to tell male from female?
Thanks for sharing about your Clown Gobies Paul! I'm a little concerned that you're not feeling well tho cause I didn't see a darn thing in that post about any Super Models :yup:

Akshay

That's funky! Pls do try to rear them sometime, would be nice to see a complete cycle from egg to adult.

Paul B

Diana, some days I just have to shoo away the supermodels so I can get things done. And Supermodels hate feeding fish and doing tank maintenance.

Akshay. I may try to raise some if I get ambitious and order some rotifers. But it's almost boating season and that takes most of my time. That and Supermodels

Newjack

hey paul your from long island, I just got back from there for a 3 month job. Was in Farmingville, kings park, and montok. How can you afford a tank when a wopper meal is over 10 bucks lol!

Paul B

I don't eat Whopper meals and have not been in a fast food "restaurant" in more years that I can remember. The last time I had a White Castle hamburger, they were 12 cents. Montauk is a tourist town and if you were there in the summer, it would have cost you 3 times as much as whatever you spent there. I am 100 miles west of Montauk but go there a lot, although I like the north fork of Long Island much better.
My tank costs nothing if you figure my real estate taxes which are almost $12,000.00 for a 40' X 100' lot. (with my combat discount) Yes that is feet, not acres and my marina fees are a little more than half of that. So the tank is almost free.
NY is expensive but we New Yorkers can afford it obviously as there are 10 million or so of us here. (of course we have to feed our fish cake as we have no money left) I don't particularly like New York but I was born here and find most other places to slow and not enough places like hardware stores and LFSs. There are probably 15 LFSs with in five miles of my house and I could almost walk to 4 Home Depot's, forget Pizza places,they are all over the place. Like Supermodels, we also have quite a few of those.
You get used to that and it is hard to live far from all those places. I also like good restaurants and we go every week. We normally eat seafood and Red Lobster is not even in the running as we never go there.
I guess I am spoiled, even though I like a lot of other places besides NY better. Tonight we are going to a real nice seafood place on the water that has clams on the half shell for $6.00 a dozen. That is almost un heard of as they are normally $18.00 a dozen. I love that place and in the summer go there by boat almost every week. :yummy:
I have never been to Georgia but I have been all over the south and I do like some places there. Especially the Florida Keys as I go there all the time. I am a water person, what can I tell you.
I was stationed in Colorado for a few months and I always say, if Colorado had an ocean, it would be perfect.:D I also love the other Hawaiian Islands, but can't afford it.
I am also a die hard boater which is also something you get used to and very hard to live with out if you have had a boat for most of your life. My summers revolve around boating and we would never think to go to a restaurant by car in the summer. I would go now, but my boat makes a lot of noise on the ice. :snowski:

I took this near Montauk.

Newjack

lol I was just there for work and did a little site seeing, Ill post some pics in a few. I am actually from Florida but just live in Atlanta now. I was there from august to November then went back for a little maintence last month. My mother was born and raised on statin island and her mom (my grandmother) is from Farmingville and use to work on fire island. I have lots of family in Baltimore and NYC.
NY was crazy driving! We don't have parkways here like yall do. I accidently got on the parkway with a 40 foot boon lift and got yelled at by police over the loud speaker! :cursin:

Plus I love it how on the LIE you can do 20 mph over the limit and they don't give a dam. here its 10 on interstate and 5 on normal roads.

Your right theres a home depot on every main road. I am a smoker as well so 10 a pack or $100 a carton is what killed me. Its half that here.
here are some pics that I took.

And then when we came back it was like this instead of nice and warm,

Newjack

Very nice. Are the boating laws strict there, or can you just ride a fast as you want in open water and drive right out of international?

Newjack

In flordia you can go as fast as you want and as far as you want but if your cross out it can be hard to get back in. coast guard is heavy through there.

Oxylebius

I went and read the reviews for the little Clown Gobies...I shouldn't have cause now, I'd really like to have one. But I'm already over my fish stocking limit. :( (And I do NOT want a bigger tank ;) )
Such a very cute peaceful little fish. Wondering if there's a real outward noticeable difference to tell male from female?
Thanks for sharing about your Clown Gobies Paul! I'm a little concerned that you're not feeling well tho cause I didn't see a darn thing in that post about any Super Models :yup:

I've been eyeing them for years. So cute. Never picked up one b/c I didn't have sps until now. From the years of reading I've done on them, most articles say they live the longest in tanks w/sps. Not that you have to have sps for them, but they thrive in tanks w/sps vs just surviving.....

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I've been eyeing them for years. So cute. Never picked up one b/c I didn't have sps until now. From the years of reading I've done on them, most articles say they live the longest in tanks w/sps. Not that you have to have sps for them, but they thrive in tanks w/sps vs just surviving.....
Thanks for the tip Oxy. I guess that thought can calm me down from wanting to get clown goby.
I've been thinking that latter on I would add one or two frags of montipora digitata. I saw a pretty digi at the LFS in their DT (not for sale tank) on my last visit. I'd like to see how SPS does in my tank someday even if I never add a clown goby. I'm certainly in no rush, hope that my macro growth in my new refugium can reduce phosphate before I add an SPS coral.

Paul B

I have never had a clown gobi eat polyps but I know a lot of people report that. I have had dozens of them

Very nice. Are the boating laws strict there, or can you just ride a fast as you want in open water and drive right out of international?
You can go as fast as you want unless of course you are near a marina or homes. Some places restrict speed close to shore. but not many. The homes here on the water are some of the most expensive real estate properties in the country and they are worried about the beaches near their homes. It is called the Gold Coast. But generally, you can go anywhere, just don't tie up to a bridge or under one or the Coast Guard will swarm all over you with ships and helicopters. I have a Captain's License so if they catch me doing something stupid, I have more consequences to deal with.

East River next to Manhattan. (not really a river but an estuary)

Sun set over the Bronx

You know who She is?

Good looking guy on boat

Newjack

there like that In Miami with the bridges. There worried your "planting" something on it like a bomb.

Paul B

Yes they are, and Manhattan being an Island, there are plenty of bridges, I don't even know how many. 3 or 4 tunnels also.

Oxylebius

Thanks for the tip Oxy. I guess that thought can calm me down from wanting to get clown goby.
I've been thinking that latter on I would add one or two frags of montipora digitata. I saw a pretty digi at the LFS in their DT (not for sale tank) on my last visit. I'd like to see how SPS does in my tank someday even if I never add a clown goby. I'm certainly in no rush, hope that my macro growth in my new refugium can reduce phosphate before I add an SPS coral.

If you want to try digi's out, I can send you some. I have broken frags just laying in the sand & weirdly they are surviving...I always bump them and break off pieces by accident, but I don't want to glue anymore to rocks.

Newjack

Yes they are, and Manhattan being an Island, there are plenty of bridges, I don't even know how many. 3 or 4 tunnels also.

yeah we went through a few tunnels I love it! Although we got stopped at the toll for inspection because we had ballasts for the site lighting shoved in boxes and wires where hanging out.. They don't like that. luckily they didn't see the capacitor since there filled with acid and explode under direct long sun.

Newjack

If you want to try digi's out, I can send you some. I have broken frags just laying in the sand & weirdly they are surviving...I always bump them and break off pieces by accident, but I don't want to glue anymore to rocks.

oooo any chance on letting me get on some of that action lol

whats the full name so I can look them better?