Source water...

newreefguy6868

I have an interesting question about source water. I have been told not to use tap water as your SW. I put tap water in my tank and let it sit for a lil over a month to stabalize before I had heard this. So I was wondering if anyone has any opinions to wether this would be ok. Also If tap water is not a good idea, than what do you use for water changes if not tap water?:dunno:

DaveK

If you have already mixed your salt and used tape water for that and started setting up the tank, it's a problem but it's not the "end of the world". Over time you can do large partial water changes of about 30% and by the time you get to about 8 water changes you will have replaced just about all the original water.

As the others point out RO/DI water is the way to go here.

newreefguy6868

If you have already mixed your salt and used tape water for that and started setting up the tank, it's a problem but it's not the "end of the world". Over time you can do large partial water changes of about 30% and by the time you get to about 8 water changes you will have replaced just about all the original water.

As the others point out RO/DI water is the way to go here.

Man I am finding this to be an expensive hobby, didnt know anything about source water and I have done quite a bit of research. I have not put anything in the tap water in my tank but live sand hopefully that is not a problem... So I found a 4 stage reverse osmosis filter for 80$ heres a pic lemme know if ya think it's a good buy...

8de4_12.jpg

CATALYST

When I started I would get water from the LFS. My tap water is horrible. I got a cheapy filter but it wasn't awesome. It worked for awhile. I upgraded to a nice system from The Filter Guys. They are great. Totally worth the price. RO/DI Systems
You can get a TDS meter for like $20 and test your tap water. Mine read over 500. Not so great.

burning2nd

there is no point to waiting... the minrals and stuff in the water that comes outta the tap, will be there in a few days.. or a few years... and over time it will build makeing it very hard to keep a salt water tank

An RODi system plugs in to your house water and super filters it... then the water it makes you use to mix with salt to make salt water..

IF your consitering waiting on or not buying a rodi b4 you do anything else....
I must PErsist.... THIS MUST BE THE FIRST THING YOU do...

you will not be able to keep a reef tank with out.

check out
The Filter Guys unbeatable service. warenty top notch best of the best

you can do the ebay thing.. but you should stroll thur the old post about people not geting complete kits or not being able to hook it up right, and so on and so forth..... the filter guys are a shore shot win

Krabby2k

How about filtered water from Walmart?

And if i were to get a setup from The filters guys, would the "$135.00 - OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI " be sufficient for a 55g tank setup?

burning2nd

I have the ocean reef +2 and im runing a 30 and 75 a 10 plus a 45 breeder sump and a 10 sump.....

the 135 will be more then enough. not to mention gas and time to go to walmart will add up quickly and pass one hundred thirty five dollars.

Ive added to extra filters to my setup.. and pre and a 3rd di.

the only thing you wanna get from wal mart is a large rubber maid containor...
Picture3002762.jpg

Picture3002761.jpg

Picture3002756.jpg

a bulk head so you can drain the RODI water with out haveing to open the lid or get your hands in there..

a float switch or valve to keep the ro holding tank full all the time...
some heaters to make the water ready to mixing... keeping it at the same temp as your tanks will allow for faster ready water.

power head and airstone.

miaskies

I can't afford an ro/di unit and I think my well water would destroy one of those in a few months anyway. The only water that I use is the green label gallon jugs from wal-mart. It is reverse osmosis, it works great. My corals bleached a bit when i used the well water here for a change and my lfs can't keep really soft corals( I think it is because they just use the tap). The green label jugs from wal-mart are the only thing that work for me.

burning2nd

I can't afford an ro/di unit a

I dont want to be mean, or rude but if you cant affort a simple RODI setup... you shouldnt be affording a Reef or salt water tank.

This is a simple thing... baby steps... and your well water will not destroy your RODi... as meny people includeing my self can valtch