something to eat bryopsis

brian_e

i have 5 sea slugs now witch do eat it but 5 in my size tank is not to much help i have been pulling this stuff out for the longest time now growing in high flow its hid all over my tank help me

thanks brian

mattie

RS Sponsor
okay now i have gone thru this myself but i do know that there is a huge dif in the size of our tanks but emerald crabs eat it even if it's bushy and mexican turbo's eat it if it is trimed short. also i would remove any rocks that are covered with it and put them in a dark bucket with a PH and tank water for a few weeks untill it dies off or toss the rocks...somothing to know is that it feeds on phosphates so check for that

i am sorry for ya because it was a huge pain in the @ss in my little 20

ReefLady

Staff member
I had a foxface that ate it. Got rid of about 90% of my bryopsis, then keeled over. :(

Those lettuce nudis are worthless IMO. Stupid little creatures too. They must be the undersea equivalent of june bugs. :)

brian_e

i do see the ndis eat it i keep it as short as i can and as for pulling the rock out there is know way i pulled what i can the rest is the bottem of th estack or corals are grown to it

BoomerD

Just have one word for you ...Sea Hare. :D
O,K, I admit it, I was watching the Friends special on Dateline, and stole that from Joey...but the Sea Hare is an amazing hair algae eating machine. Gotta be careful, because like a lot of the sea slugs, they can quickly kill a tank if they die or get too stressed, but it can be like watching a lawnmower in action...

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Geesz brian didn't know you were still having trouble with that stuff! Hope you get it under control bud! Sea Hare may be the way to go or did you try one yet? :)

ScottT1980

Foxface is your best bet, the best genral hebivore in the hobby...

It might take a beating from some of your other tank inhabitants, you would have to keep an eye on things. Most fish leave foxfaces alone because of their poisonous dorsal fins (except my blred-lipped).

Take er easy
Scott T.

BoomerD

I had NOT considered what other inhabitants might be in the tank. I know that for whatever reason, they are NOT recommended with angelfish, Presumably the larger species...

Hooked

I have a blue tuxedo urchin. While he may eat it, in my experience, he isn't going to eat enough of it to clean up your tank.

i used water changes, lettuce slugs and the chore of constantly yanking the stuff out to rid my tank of it. It took about 4 months to finally get it all out

mps9506

I know if I were you brian, I wouldn't be doing any kind of yanking or pulling out live rock, you have some boulders in there, plus I'd be scared I would fall in and drown in your tank.
I think a foxface would be the way to go.
Other things to think about would be running phosban or rowaphos. You could put togther a FBF to run that stuff for pretty cheap with pvc. That may help control the growth of it.
But like Travis and Scott said, Foxface all the way.
I had a large bicolor (Fiji) Foxface. It was a hog when it came to eating anything with plant matter in it.
Mike