Something growing on and killing my candy cane

jimv

I was moving the candy cane coral to make room for some frags and found this.
hamepu7y.jpg

8usu2ave.jpg

ze5e6ymu.jpg

Any idea what this is and how I can get rid of it?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Mike Johnson

It's a sponge and I don't think it will hurt your coral. Maybe that damaged head was leaning on a rock? If you want to kill the sponge either position the coral so its in bright light or take it out of the water for five minutes. But, again, I doubt the sponge is hurting anything.

jimv

I was looking at the tank with a flashlight tonight and it's all over the stock on my hammer coral as well.
y5uby7ud.jpg

Will the prolonged exposure to air not harm the coral?

Mike Johnson

First, it is impossible for that sponge to harm a coral. Second, it is very normal for sponges to grow in every part of your tank that is in complete shade. Third, it is actually a sign of a healthy tank and the sponges filter you water, another good thing.

The sponges will not live in bright light. No, it won't hurt your coral to expose it to air for a few minutes.

Now that you moved that candy cane so that it is in the light that part of the sponge will die quickly.

Mike Johnson

Here's a sponge underneath a softball size Euphyllia divisa. I have a big black sponge on the side of my clam that's always in the shade. I have black, purple, white, yellow, and red sponges in the shade everywhere in my tank. The chances of getting a predatory sponge in a home aquarium is almost nil.

jimv

The hammer seems to be doing fine my initial concern was with the candy cane since it is starting to grow over the fleshy part of two heads (3rd pic). I will try to give it more light and see if it recesses.