Some Good Reading On Sandbeds

I thought it would be. It seemed to be very interesting reading. After so many are starting to go bare bottom instead of deep sand beds. The article answers so many questions.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Here is a good thread: DSB....Let's Discuss. Since learning how a DSB functions, I have decided against running one. There have obviously been many of a discussion on the topic here and elsewhere, and if I'm not mistaken, Dr. Ron has changed some of his initial thinking. Remember, our tanks have bottoms and sides....and no where near the populations and variety as the wild. Waste products don't disappear....they get broken down and changed, but are still there.

mps9506

I think Dr. Ron has changed quite a few of his DSB ideas.
I really don't mind using DSB's for lagoonal type systems where we are keeping corals from more nutrient rich waters.
But if you want to keep a low nutrient systems the only way to go IMO is barebottom, big skimmer and water changes.

mps9506

c'mon Mike! :D
We all wanna know what you have to say about DSB's...

Maybe we could get boomber/spanky, then Borneman and Dr Ron comtributing to the thread too.... Or maybe not :D

Thanks for everyones replys I did not realize how old that article was. I am allways looking for more information on how to run my tank better. I still have a 4inch sand bed and this september my tank will be three years old, and I have heard so many of you say that you want or are changing to bare bottom. How long can you have a sand bed before it starts to crash?

NaH2O

Contributing Member
ROFL, MIke. I would have figured you have a post saved in Word or something by now that you can post when it is called for :)

How long can you have a sand bed before it starts to crash?

That depends on the system.....bioload, feeding (type, schedule, amount), filtration such as skimmer, husbandry, to name a few off the top of my head. It seems that 3-4 years is what I've noticed reading peoples posts, but some instances it could be as short as a year with different contributing factors. What people start to notice is uncontrollable algae, such as cyano on the bed that doesn't go away. There is nothing wrong with having a sand bed in the tank, as long as the person understands how it functions. That way, it can be cared for and utilized for what it is and not the eternal abyss it was made out to be. The hobbyist can also know what to look for, and deal with issues as they arise.