Some fishy business

Keeping fish as pets for 25 years and never being a single days that i left them without food even while I took vacation(always leave a person).I was having some algae growing on some spots in my lovely reef tank(and you know how important that is).I have 3 tangs in my reef tank;yellow,sohal,red sea,and these guys never pay any attention to what they are supposed to do(eat algae).Well 3 days ago I said to myself why not feed and see what happens right?Today I got home from work and guess what I saw!
Fat tangs!No algae!
I hate to tell you but I think some of us are too good to our pets(fish) and we are tend to overfeed not realizing that perhaps we are changing they natural behavior.I'm only refering to tangs fish only others should be feed.
What is your comment?
VINA

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I hate to tell you but I think some of us are too good to our pets(fish) and we are tend to overfeed not realizing that perhaps we are changing they natural behavior.I'm only refering to tangs fish only others should be feed.
What is your comment?

I feed every couple or three days ;)

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree with you vina,sounds like it worked for you and something to think about.great info thanks.why did'nt i think of that lol.

Gina

RS STAFF
I feed every evening. I know that I could get away with every other day but, even feeding them in the evening they act like they are starved. I only feed enough though that gets eaten in that time.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
I am starting to think that adopting RR's feeding policy will help with some of my issues in my tank. Hair algae popped up again and I am guessing it has something to do with overfeeding. I feed small amounts, but I do it everyday. I think I will try feeding every three days for a few weeks and se how it goes.

Spooda420

I feed the cichlids only when I remember like 2x a week, but I feed my SW tank about 2-3x per week; I was and still am under the impression that there is enough natural food in there the keep them going for quite a while.

Cougra

I've often left my tanks alone for over a week at a time without feeding them anything while on vacation. As long as the fish are healthy before you leave, they should be fine when you get back. There is a lot of food in the tank for them to eat that we don't normally consider food like the pods, worms and algaes that grow in there. Even after leaving my fish for 12 days once, I came back and they hadn't even lost any body weight, however this was in a system that has been operating for over 3 years with a ref attached as well. I wouldn't recommend attempting that with a newly setup tank.