Solaris Owners Attention

rmlevasseur

The buzz is that PFO may have pulled the plug on the Solaris, and may be out of biz altogether. I myself tried calling several times this morning and no one ever picked up. I wanted to call myself several times before spreading any rumors.

This could be bad news. As a Solaris owner I've tried to tell people what I like about this light while also being honest with its faults. But if their customer service has now failed it might be the final straw for me. If you are considering the purchase of a Solaris, I'd like anyone who has read my threads to no longer consider me an advocate for this system, especially for SPS tanks. Please consider any purchase from PFO carefully until this is fully resolved.

Amphibious

Well, everyone should settle down and go to their new web site - PFO Aquatics

I am one of their dealers as many of you know because you bought your lights from me, thank you.

PFO is a small company and they have a few people on vacation which puts them in a bind. I know, THAT'S NO EXCUSE!!! But, that's what I know right now. I have a call into Pat the owner. I'll respond again when I hear from him.

As far as I know, they are not going out of business. In fact they are now offering custom LED light configurations. More info can be found on their web site - link above.

Dick

faust

i have been reading these same rumors on anther forum. seems a great deal of people can't get a hold of them to fix problems with their lights

rmlevasseur

Hi Dick:

As you may or may not know, I have had a ridiculous amount of problems with my light. It was finally replaced with an american-assembled light and I am still having problems. Now my display wont backlight. No way I'm sending it back because of that, but I'm angry.

As a dealer I would urge you to warn customers a little more than you did with me. You seem to be a great guy but the trouble this light has caused me has not been worth its price. I wouldn't buy it again, at least not from PFO.

lcstorc

Well, I guess I am on the other side and hope I stay there.
I have no idea if they are easy to get ahold of because I have never needed to.
:)
My light works great.

michael_cb_125

I feel your pain Robert. As you know, I am NOT an fan of the Solaris system as well. And I had many problems myself.

~Michael

rmlevasseur

I know Mike. I have tried hard not to join you in that regard, but find it increasingly hard. I really don't want to deal with the costs of 3-4 MH or a gazillion T5 bulbs over my 180, but I admit I am starting to feel differently about it. I do have a MH over my 65 cube, and I did transfer my SPS over to it. I hate to admit it, but they are undoubtedly doing much better under the MH.

rmlevasseur

Well don't misunderstand me, I'm not willing to sell the Solaris yet. I just wouldn't buy it again, nor will I put SPS under it. The rest of my tank has done great under the lights, as I think my chronicle shows. SPS aside, its not LED I have a problem with, its PFO. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that no more LEDs go out.

michael_cb_125

I understand. LEDs have the potential to be amazing for reef tanks. Elos's Led light is amazing and Megan has had no issues with it. And It is so much brighter than the Solaris.
~Michael

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I'm with Lynn. I did have some problems with my light, but they were rectified immediately and to my satisfaction.

Unfortunately, all new technology is not without its problems. I knew this going into this purchase and I have accepted the down falls. In no way have I considered abandoning PFO. For me the benefits of having this light outweigh the risks of failure. They have a superb product with state of the art technology and I for one am extremely glad that I don't need a chiller!

Some will recognize the innovation in this product, some will not, that's the nature of new technology.

rmlevasseur

I hear ya Dent. I don't minimize the benefits of my Solaris at all, and I enjoy being a part of the evolution of the hobby.

But here is what I am beginning to think... the benefits of this light are more to the hobbyist and not the corals. Power savings and energy savings make me happy, but I don't think my corals care about that, lol. I have begun to believe that you must recognize this trade-off when you buy this light. Problem is, I don't think you can ever convince yourself until you plop a few of your demanding Solaris-acclimated corals under a MH system and notice the differance. Believe me, the results pain me, but they were significant enough - and immediate enough - that I am already considering another system. Were it not for the energy savings, I probably would have by now. By saying this I am eating a lot of my words both here and on other forums. I am NOT saying this is a bad light for non-sps corals, and I think my tank proves it. I am saying I don't think its better for them than MH and maybe t5.

I am fortunate to have two systems, Solaris and MH (and three if you consider my PC fuge). I am finding that while the Solaris is plenty bright for me, and I love the blues it gives, there is a "warmth" that is missing. I say this because I've had about 7 months now to compare the two systems side by side. There is a vibrancy to the MH, while the Solaris is a little too sterile and cold. I find I can add a little more yellow and warmth to the Solaris, but it is at the expense of overall visual brightness. For this reason I have supplemented my Solaris with 2 72" VHO aquasuns and 2 VHO actinics, which make a huge improvement to the spread and visual appeal. Is the visual appeal worth the increase in heat generated by MH --- I dunno.

Unlike your claims, I didn't realize the problems of the Solaris going in, and NOBODY told me. I ignored the few complainers thinking that you were always going to hear from the complainers and rarely those who are satisfied. That's just the way it goes on the boards. However in reality the failure rate and problems of the Solaris are monumental. I know of no one who has not had problems at one point or another. I can't say that about any other piece of gear I own in this hobby. This company is subject to suit under the Uniform Commercial Code, and its only a matter of time before it happens if it hasn't already. I have tried to outline my problems on my chronicle, but to be honest I don't think you heard as many complaints as you should have out of respect for the Solaris dealers who participate as members here and are greatly valued. I don't blame them, but I must admit I believe it would have been impossible for a dealer not to have realized the mounting complaints. To their credit, PFO was very honest about it with me. I also believe huge improvements were made in the American-assembled units, but from what I am reading on other thread the I5 series problems are starting to evidence themsleves too with blown transformers and continued LED failures. My "new" unit's display backlight doesnt work right, and this was the unit that was supposed to replace my faulty one! Thank God I have not had any LED failures since getting the American ones. But if I do, just one more, this unit is gone.

In any event, I'm just trying to share my thoughts, concerns and honesty with others about my experience with this light. If someone came up to me right now and said I'll give up a brand new 72" MH-T5 system for your Solaris, I'd have an awful tough decision to make. However, if the company's support for this product should fail or shows signs of failing, my decision would be made in a heartbeat. Its not fun not being able to trust such an important element of our ecosystem.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
As a dealer on the West coast for PFO Lighting - There are allot of Support issues as of late.

I to myself as well as customers, and other Dealers have been trying to get technical issues rectified since before Thanksgiving.

Don’t get me wrong as with others statements PFO in the past has done a great job fixing issues rather quickly IMO. Also of Late they have not I currently have 2 of My own plus 7 customers that are having issues one light is even dead.

I spoke with Tom the engineer of PFO 2 days ago. He informed me he quit that is not a good thing.

Calling PFO up until yesterday you could get everyone’s personal voice mail with the exception of Pat the president. As of today everyone’s voice mail is the general mailbox.

I am doing everything I can do to try to get parts so if anyone has any parts needed please e-mail me I cannot promise anything. However if I can get anything it will have to be on a first report first served basis.

If you would like to contact me in person PM me with your contact info & I will call you or e-mail which ever you prefer. This goes for anyone that has these lighting systems.

faust

not to take this off topic, but i wanted a solaris so bad. but with this news i am very happy that my wife bought me the giesemann moonlight for xmas

lcstorc

I guess I am the exception that makes the rule.
I have had no problem at all with my Solaris. It is one of the American made I 5s but so far I love it. Hopefully they will get things worked out.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Well, if all this is true and PFO was selling these lights knowing that they had deficiencies, then a class action liability lawsuit may be in order. I know that PFO Lighting has not gone out of business and who knows what the aquarium division is doing. These units have a 2 year warrantee, so they are obligated to the buyers.

Robert, you are in the law field, what are the buyers rights here?

rmlevasseur

The claim would be made under the Uniform Commercial Code. Unfortunately I practice criminal defense and family law, so this would require a bit of book dusting, lol.

Lets not talk about lawsuits yet guys.