So many heaters

Leo

Hello folks.
Seems The RSM 250 I picked up is missing the heater. So many out there! Any recommendations???
Thank you

Snelly40

Pat24601

What watts do you get? I see the recommendation for a 65 gallon tank (RSM 250) is 150 watts. Do you do that or go bigger just because. :)

Snelly40

What watts do you get? I see the recommendation for a 65 gallon tank (RSM 250) is 150 watts. Do you do that or go bigger just because. :)

good question... i do go bigger and i have two hooked up only because i have a controller. I also have them set to like 90 degrees.

when my tank hits 75.9 degrees my heater kicks on and it goes off when the tank gets up to 76. this keeps it very very constant. if somehow my tank drops to 75.5 then my second heater kicks on. That really only happens on cold nights in winter. both of my heaters are 250 watts.
Even of i had one i think i'd go bigger just as to not stress the heater, there's no proof that thats even a thing but just makes me feel better haha.

Pat24601

good question... i do go bigger and i have two hooked up only because i have a controller. I also have them set to like 90 degrees.

when my tank hits 75.9 degrees my heater kicks on and it goes off when the tank gets up to 76. this keeps it very very constant. if somehow my tank drops to 75.5 then my second heater kicks on. That really only happens on cold nights in winter. both of my heaters are 250 watts.
Even of i had one i think i'd go bigger just as to not stress the heater, there's no proof that thats even a thing but just makes me feel better haha.

This makes sense to me. It's what I'm planning on doing. I was thinking better for kind of the same reason (whether its true or not). I don't see anything wrong with the stock heater I have so far, but I want a back-up in pace.

pablomay28

Hello folks.
Seems The RSM 250 I picked up is missing the heater. So many out there! Any recommendations???
Thank you

I have the Aqueon shatter proof also. Its the 200w and it fits where the stock heater goes. the light on it is green when it is at temperature and it turns red when it is heating the water. I like those features because with other heaters you only know they still work when they turn on.

Last edited:

pablomay28

Ill post one when it turns off. Mine turns on at 77 and off at 78 you dont want your heater to work against your chiller. My chiller turns on at about 80.5 and turns off at 78. I try to keep my tank at 78-80

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

I have a little tetra heater with the green/red, and agree with Pablo, nice to know when a heater is READY to heat!
I have about 80 g running volume and use 2x150w jagers, for redundancy, but I usually only see one on at a time. my 20g WC station has 1x300w, and can get 68° water to 78° in an hour.
Everything I see on these heaters is that they are more efficient per watt than most on the market

whip

I run Fluval E-Series heaters. They are electronic with a digital display. Digital temperature readout and the backlit dIsplay is green when temp is in range, blue when cold, and red when hot. The digital aspect takes all the guesswork out of the analog temperature knob. Plus... they are cool! :pbjtime:

image.jpg