So I've Got This Bristle Worm

saltwaterfarm

Hello All! I noticed this bristle worm in my pico (3 gal) last night. It is light colored on the end (kinda peachy) and darker in the middle. It has white bristles. It appears to be housed in a piece of rock. My concern is the tank is full of Sexy Shrimp. These shrimp are really tiny, and with them molting, I am worried that the worm will hurt them. What do you think??? Leave it alone, or yank that sucker out?
BTW, I haven't seen the whole thing but what I saw of it appeared to be about 3 or 4" long.

rDr4g0n

ive only been around for a while so i cant say with much authority, but in a system that small and with shrimp, he may be a threat. they do get large, and that would definatly be bad.

id say to remove him and maybe fry him up with some soy sauce.

saltwaterfarm

Well... I can just put it in my other tank... I don't want to kill it unless I have to and, it will eat bad stuff.
I know it's bad but I just realized I'm missing 3 shrimp. UGGH

saltwaterfarm

Since I don't have a fuge yet... Maybe put it in the middle chamber of the cube until I get the new tank going? Or permanently dispose of it?

lcstorc

I vote for removal without killing it if possible. Fuge is a great place for them, but the back of the cube would be ok if there is rubble and/or sand for him to hide in.

saltwaterfarm

Thanks everyone... I will try again to get him out tomorrow when i feed. I think he knows...
I am going to put him in the back of the cube until I get the new tank set up. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks. At that time I think he will be a suitable fuge inhabitant. I just don't want to kill him...

Thanks everyone... I will try again to get him out tomorrow when i feed. I think he knows...
I am going to put him in the back of the cube until I get the new tank set up. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks. At that time I think he will be a suitable fuge inhabitant. I just don't want to kill him...

Don't know if you know this or not, but don't touch that bad boy with your bare fingers!!!!! If you do you will wind up with a finger full of bristles and those do not feel very good. Use some Walgreens el-cheapo tweezers.

HTH

Anne

lcstorc

They have traps for bristle worms that we have had good success with and it does not harm the worm so you can just remove it. The one we have is a green tube and you put bait in the middle of it. The entrance is just the right size for a worm to get in but made in a way that they can't get back out. We got ours from the lfs, but I am sure they sell them online if you can't find one.

saltwaterfarm

Thanks Lynn! I will try again this evening to lure him out with some yummies... If that doesn't work I WILL be "google"ing.