so i have some pretty weird stuff in my tank

Miri

Just today, I saw some pretty weird stuff. One of my crabs was completely out of his shell wandering around... I also saw this weird snail looking thing that had no shell either but i have no idea how he got in there! I also saw this weird thing crawling around... was black.. had lots of lil legs like a pincher bug or a centipede but it moved real fast. Should I be a lil concerned with all this activity, LOL??

-L-

Brucey

Sure it wasn't a stomatella .... they look like crabs / snails but have no shell.
Brucey

Miri

Well the crab out of his shell, I know for a fact that it was one of my crabs because I found the shell and he has a certain coloration thats very distinct, yellowish with black stripes. I just hope he doesn't die or anything without his shell :(

-L-

Brucey

Miri .... have you provided bigger shells for your crab (Hermit i assume) to move into. You can buy them really sheep at craft stores etc. If the crab has outgrown his shell he will be getting stressed looking for another one.
Brucey

Gina

RS STAFF
Agree with Brucey! You should have some empty shells laying around for your hermits to change homes.

angnak

I bought about 20 - 30 shells from Hobby Lobby, an arts and crafty kind of store, for a couple bucks. Just make sure you boil the shells before putting them in the tank.

addict

So you got a streaking hermit, eh? :D

It should be fine as long as there's no other animals in the tank that like to pick on them... just toss in a couple of shells that look like they're it's size and it'll choose one and be fine after that.

The rest of the life in your tank sounds normal... and healthy. :)

If you want to see even more bugs and stuff, just bust out the flashlight about half an hour after lights out, and you'll see all kinds of stuff you didn't know was in your tank...

Miri

Originally posted by reefer addict
So you got a streaking hermit, eh? :D

LOL!! I guess I inspired something, I dunno, lol.

SO YAH!! all these critters just started commin out when the actinics were goin on for the last 30 min of the day. I was so shocked! I've never seen all these other critters in my reg. salt tank and I've had that thing for almost 2 years now :p As far as getting shells, I'll stop by the aq store and pick up some extra hermit crab shells, they always have tons of extras. Thanks for the input :D