So, how much (quantity) do you feed??

dgasmd

So, as I was talking today to someone about my fish, we got talking as to how much I have to feed because of some of the larger fish I have. I mentioned what my batfish alone eats and what I feed daily and I wished I had a camera to capture the jaws droping since they believed I fed the fish more in one day than they did in 3 weeks combined. So, it got me thinking that you always hear other people say "I feed a lot" or see threads about it, but you never see a quantity attached to the statement. I understand that very much depends on how many fish, how big, tank size, etc., but I just wanted to get an idea on quantity.

Here is what I feed in my once per day session:
-2 sheets of nori. Almost an entire sheet gets eaten by my large batfish (Tiera). I wait for the nori to be gone (8-10 min. before feeding the frozen food).
-2 baby food jars full of my homemade frozen food. An entire jar gets eaten by the batfish alone and then the other by all the other fish combined.

Tell me what you feed and how much please.
Here are a couple of shots

mwrager

How many fish do you have and what is there size? How big is your tank? I would say if they are eating everything fast and your par are not out of the norm. I would say your ok. But that is a lot of food.

mnreefman

mush... in temrs of how much... i feed my mush every 3 days, and it isnt all that much... maybe like the size of a nickle chunk... i also feed 1-2 sheets of nori a day

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Nori-1 2"x3"sheet per week(usually last 2 days)

Frozen- 1 cube of emerald entree every other day.

50 gallon, 1 potters, 1 clown, 1 YWG, 1 scooter blenny.

Gina

RS STAFF
I feed a small amount of cyclop-eeze and either krill or brine shrimp every evening. I also add about 5cc of DT's in the evening.

wooddood

the wood dude
about 3 pinches of formula 1 flakes in the morning and some thawed brine shrimp at night maybe a quarter size of the shrimp and dt's 3 times a week.thats it.

Dracunculus

See my full answer on the CMAS board ;)

In a nutshell:

- 1 frozen Formula cube 3-4 times/week
- 1/4 sheet of Nori (in Selcon) every other day
- Occasional treat of Sweetwater zooplankton (1-2X/week)
- Frozen krill (1/4 inch piece) or Coral Heaven (IPSF) to plerogyra and favia once a week

David

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Holy fish dgasmd!! :eek: That's a LOT!!!

Daily: 4 tbl of thawed homemade-mush with freshly pressed garlic

Every other day: 1/4-1/2 sheet of green nori ; one capful of DT's

1 powder blue tang, 1 copperbanded butterfly; 2 false perc clowns, 1 blue devil damsel, 1 bicolor dottyback, 1 mandarin

blue_eyes53813

hmmmm this all kinda depends, I watch the fish and see how they are eating and add ffos slowly over a 15 minute period.

I feed once a day. 2 cubes of frozen foods. I have a a freezer full of about 10-15 different kinds of frozen. I mix and match. Everyday the 2 cubes are different.

a square size piece of algae strip everyday. And maybe 2-3 cap fulls of DTs. Somedays the fish dont eat it all. Than the next day they will eat more.

In my second tank I have a trigger and he finishes whats left of the meat:) He eats close to one cube a day.

Once a week I add sinking pellets for my 3 brittle stars. I do this at night.

mick77

I feed twice a day with cyclop-eeze and mysis shrimp. DTs three times a week. The cyclo-peeze and shrimp equals to about two cubes a day for two clowns, three chromis, firefish, psuedochromis, scooter blenny, and a newly acquired coral beauty. It souds like a lot to me, but the fish have everything devoured well within 5 minutes. They all go absolutely nuts over the cyclop-eeze!

dgasmd

What fish do I have:
Huge powder blue tang
medium achilles tang
medium powder brown tang
big hippo tang
medium yellow tang
2 large foxface rabbit fish
huge batfish
smaller-medium size cooperbanded buttlerfly
large to huge queen angel
large and medium marron clown couple
4 green chromis
small algae blenny
6 line wrasse
2 cleaner wrasses
I am sure I am forgetting a few more

Tank size:
360g with 100g sump and 100g refugium

Last edited:

geofloors

I currently have 55 fish. I feed an entire 3.5oz block of frozen mysis shrimp, 6 cubes of frozen brine shrimp, 4 cubes of frozen mega marine angel formula, and a pinch of cyclopeze, mixed in a bowl and soaked in garlic everyday. I also feed a 3oz portion of live black worms every week. Along with a few pinches of Ocean Nutrition flakes and pellets each night. I feel I feed quite heavily.

George

dgasmd

Geroge:

With the kind of money you are spending in food alone, you would be much bteer off making your own like I do. Equal, if not much better, nutrition and better economy. It will last you longer too and don't have to be buying that frozen stuff so often.

geofloors

It's alot of mouths to feed. If I made my own it's just one more thing in my busy work schedule to do. Next time you make a batch of your food let me know. I'll pay you to make a double batch :) I feed about $20-25 per week. The 6 angels, 8 tangs and 3 anthias are the big eaters.

George

dgasmd

$20-25/week:eek: :eek: If my kid ate that much in a week I would have sent him back:p :D :p I'll let you know. Doing it this way you can make a ton of food much more affordable. The only thing is to add the cost of a blender every other time because that is how much they last before they burn out.:D

geofloors

I also have some very picky fish that will still need to fed some specific foods. Most will probably eat your mush.

George

jimeluiz

I am forever afraid of over-feeding. I've read a lot about the dangers of such. With that said I think I am also doing some heavy skimming, so I think I have some wiggle room if I get too excited about feeding the always-begging fish.

You can see in my signature what is in the tank.

We have made up some Borneman-like mush, pressed into flat sheets. So what do we feed? -- We feed usually once/day - A one eigth inch or so thick piece of home/much, about the size of a nickle. We do phytoplankton two or three time a week. And we do a garlic-soaked two inch square of nori twice or three times a week.

So far so good. :D

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Mon, Thurs, Sun : a cube of home made mush.
Tues, Fri : a cube of brine shrimp.
Wed, Sat : nori sheets and pellets.

Anemone (BTA and carpet) gets a shrimp every 2 days.
Open Brain gets a shrimp every week.

Livestock : 55gal with 1 hepatus tang, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 spotted mandarin, 2 percs, 1 domino damsel (in sump) and corals.