Snowflake Clownfish Breeding Project

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What happened dude? Why forego the project?

..........rarely am I speechless

Roots

Thanks for the kind words. I'm seriously bummed out about it. I was severely depressed all day. Plus without airing all my personal problems online, I have been under lot of stress lately and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back and I was down for a day.

I'm going to keep him. I already have his tank all setup and looking nice. Once I have an empty QT I will order a mate for him and hopefully I can get them paired up and I can get the breeding project going again. It's just going to be a while longer now. I was stoked to get a bonded pair and now I have to hope I can get him to bond with another clown now.

Fur and Fins

Aren't you with LAs live guarantee period? Maybe try to get another small snowflake to pair with yours?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Roots

Aren't you with LAs live guarantee period? Maybe try to get another small snowflake to pair with yours?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I checked and she lived 16 days! Just long enough to not be covered by the guarantee! :smack:

I'm going to be ordering an ORA Snowflake to try and pair up with her. The one I have left is from Sustainable Aquatics so if I get an ORA at least I know they came from different breeding stock. I just have to wait for one of my QT tanks to be empty.

He's in his new home now. Been treated for Brook just in case but he's eating well and looking healthy and happy. He was always the stronger of the two since I got them. She never ate well and seemed stressed from the moment she arrived. I added a couple of Astrea Snails and a couple Hermit Crabs to the tank so he has some roommates.

Roots

Update: I got a Tank Bred regular Oscellaris Clown from Petco to become my Snowflake Clown's new mate. He's really a nice looking specimen though. He's got a nice stripe pattern and a nice dark coloration around the edge of his fins. I chose him because he seemed like the healthiest and happiest of the Clowns they had at the store though, it's just a bonus that he was the best looking one they had available.

roots-albums-new-fish-picture23846-new-tank-bred-oscellaris.jpg

roots-albums-new-fish-picture23847-new-tank-bred-oscellaris.jpg

roots-albums-new-fish-picture23848-new-tank-bred-oscellaris.jpg

Roots

Well, I have a progress update on this endeavor. Yesterday I introduced my Snowflake to the regular Ocellaris I bought to replace the other Snowflake that died. No problems at all. The new Ocellaris is the perfect size compared to my Snowflake. SO far the pairing is going "Swimmingly" Pun Intended! :bouncer:

Roots

I'm just really happy that there has been zero aggression between them. Not one nip by either one. They seem like they have always been paired up. They swim together, sleep together, and eat together. I'm gonna move them to their permanent home later today.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
when they actually go to "bond" ther will be some aggression. My larger female once in a while, goes on a tear. She will drag the smaller male up and down the tank by a fin. He then flips on his side and wiggles like he's stroking out, which is clownfish for "I GIVE UP!"(I will pointedly avoid saying something to the affect of "remindes me of my house", but you probably knew that if you are married). once he does that, they go back to being best friends again. They swim everywhere together. He panics if he loses sight of her.

Roots

I have had a bonded pair of ocellaris before and I never witnessed that kind of aggression. They spawn regularly and have been together for years. A friend of mine has them now. I think it can vary from fish to fish.