snails and green algae

munki

I purchased 8 Astrea snails for my 55 gallon tank. I have around 78-80 pounds of live rock. It is not a ton of green algae, but it is on some of the rocks and it is on the glass. I try to use my mag float to get it off of the glass, but it doesnt work. The algae is kind of hard. I went to the pet store and I bought an algae scrubbing brush, but that only works if I scrub and scrub and scrub the same spot for a long time. What do you guys think should I get some more snails? Maybe 10 or so? Or should I just use metal Scourers to get the algae off of the glass? I just dont want them to starve. The snails that i added to the tank are not really doing too much. They have moved around a little bit. They are on the rocks and glass, but they have not moved far from where i placed them on Saturday afternoon.

-Thank you:wave:

i have problems with green algea myself. i have a whole bunch of snails and a algea blenny. my rocks are in good shape, but my glass is left with spots and tiny trails from where the blenny is able to scrape and snails move. but in the long run all you get is a poke-a-dotted patterned glass.
i tried the scrub brush too with little success. my mag float seems to do the trick for me (except the back, because my Red Sea Max is set up in a way that i can't.)
that's when i found the glass scraper at my LFS. it's essentially a razorblade on a stick. the sell them in metal for glass tanks and plastic for acrylic ones.
it works great. the green built up on the back wall of my tank, and was a little rough to remove, but the scraper did the trick.

vdituri

I think I have the same kind Munki.
Mine grows more towards the bottom of the glass and is a real pain to get off.
It's not coralline cause I've had that before. Just a real stubborn algae. Grows flat, so not hair. Bright green. My best success has been the razor blade and scrape it.

framerguy

vdituri

I have that, but I must have the acrylic one because it has a hard time with this algae. All the others it works great on.

tbittner

I'd read elsewhere about people using Mr Clean (i think that is who makes it) Magic Eraser...

I'm just repeating what I read, I haven't checked into it too much though.

framerguy

yeah framerguy that's the one i have too. i didn't notice the price until i checked out, $23 bucks! i guess my LFS is a little pricey ey?
Believe it or not I got mine in the bargain bin at Petco for $4.95:whstlr: Some of the best money I've spent.