Snail with a half shell?

Saw this guy tonight climbing on my corals.
610d800996849c76cf49b9a9a8c242c5.jpg
803f27489fde988892ebf7a192855ea0.jpg

Any idea what he is?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Can my live rocks cause my ammonia to spike
Hi 26lilsam :wave:
:welcomeraWELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Tell us more about your tank....HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN RUNNING?
Only in the beginning or maybe when adding lots of additional live rock should there be enough die off to cause an ammonia spike.
Really need more details but any trace of ammonia after you have added livestock needs immediate action as it is deadly. What do you have in your tank besides live rock? :fishy::fishy:
Start a tank thread & share more info....there are lots of nice members here willing to :help: help you with anything you have wonders about. Best Wishes....:biker

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I love my Stomatella Snails....they were hitchhikers & I only have a few.
Wish I could buy some but I have yet to see them for sale.
Congrats on the great find, hope it reproduces & you find more. :)

26lilsam

I have a 120g my tank is about two and a half months for some reason my ammonia keep spiking I let it cycle I have about 160 lbs of live rocks I have about 120 lbs of live sand I have a 30g sump I have a mag 2400 to return the water back to the sump I have a reef octopus 200ext classic skimmer

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Do you have any fish or livestock in the tank yet?
Are you running any filer media like Chemi-Pure Elite? or carbon? Or Purigen? If not, I think it would be a good idea to add some. Is your skimmer pulling any nasty skimmate out?
If your tank cycled properly: ammonia up & down followed by nitrites up & down then nitrates going up...
Your good bacteria should be keeping your ammonia & nitrites converted to nitrates.
Doesn't sound like your tank cycled properly. Did you add a deli-shrimp to decay & test daily to know if your nitrogen cycle progressed & both ammonia & nitrite tested zero? have you done any water changes?
How big of WC & how often? Generally WC's are not done during the tank cycle when there isn't any livestock in the tank. Still thinking your tank didn't cycle properly.
Where'd your LR come from? Pictures might help. After your 5th post you can upload pictures (I use photobucket to host/post pictures because it's easy & free) http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Also 26lilsam, what is your water source? Did you fill your tank with tap water or Ro-Di water to start with?
Please post all your water parameters.

26lilsam

I have 4 clownfish n 2 denzels I have just did a water change let have a spectra rodi system I don't over feed my fish now I took 2 shrimp to start my ammonia cycle everything was good I had got dry liverocks n some cured liverocks yes my skimmer pulls skimmate out