small yellow mantis

claybfrmtx

last night while observing a nice size emerald crab chow down.. I noticed a yellow mantis, about 1/2" sneaking up on him (kind of fun seeing them tangle for a moment). After research, realized it was a spearing type. The problem I see is it's "lair" is a nice piece of cherry live rock.

I tried to find him to remove, but finally just banished the entire rock to the sump. The tank is not that old, and houses only 4 sunshine chromies, 4 emerald crabs and my cuc...

how dangerous would it be to put the rock back for now, and see how things develop?

Robzilla

Is your sump glass? It could break it. Try dipping the rock in a bucket of RO water and see if it comes out.

claybfrmtx

Sump is acrylic.. would a spearing type pose a that type of threat. But, I am going to do a RO dip this evening and see if it comes out. I tried the seltzer trick, and that didn't seem to work. Wondering if it didn't retreat to another rock.

Shagon

If you don't want him, I will gladly take him off your hands. But what ever you do don't kill him.

PIMPALA

if he is a spearer, he wont break any glass.

if you put him back in the tank, you will likely lose your entire CUC first... then the crabs... then the fish as he gets hungry, grows larger, and learns to hunt in the tank. i'd leave the rock in the sump for now, and just keep an eye on it. especially at night when all the lights are off. try peeking in. try throwing a little piece of krill or something in there for him to want to eat. if hes there, just reach in, stick your finger over his hole to keep him in the rock, pick the rock up while keeping the hole covered, and do a quick freshwater dip again. then move your finger once he slashes it open. Clean up all the blood off of the floor and sink, and put a band aid on it. then boil the rock, and have a nice mantis snack. maybe even wrap him in bacon. lol :p

Shagon

hopefully i can get him out.. I won't destroy him, they actually fascinate me. But just not in my DT.

Well like I said. If you dont want him, I will take him. I have been looking for a small spearer. I have a tank set up and ready for such a beast.