Sleeping in.

Big Jay

I had a BSJ quite a while ago. It lived for about 4months until it got sick and died.

Here we are a yaer and some later and decided to try again. I have a standard 125g with live rock and aragonite select sand. It's only been a few days.

Day one. I removed a bunch of sand and sucked some out from underneath a large rock. I introduced the BSJ and he went right for the hole. I took a piece of rubble about the siz of my fist and the piece were from large marbles to maybe 3mm. He went to building his burrow and then the lights went out and last i saw he was doing his thing. I woke up the next day and his hole was all covered up. About 4 hours after the lights came on he was still in there. Thinking he was dead I dug it out and found him a tucked in under the rock. I left be and he constructed a new entrance. This morning the same thing. The lights have been on for a good 4 hours and he is still in there.

Is this normal behavior? I have a variety of small fish in the tank. A pair of percs. 4 chromis. Six line. Purple firefish. Orange spot watchman goby. Yellow tail damsel.

tnwillia

Hey Jay.....Mine took several days to come out at first. She's built 5 or 6 different homes. Almost as good at excavation as my pistol shrimp. Just give it some time... Good luck!

Edison

On a side note, if you have any frag plugs, be sure to secure them with a dab of epoxy putty.
I just found the Japanese Fruity Loop frag has been used as a brace inside on of the BSJF's burrows.

Big Jay

It's been about 2 weeks now and it took about 5 days until the BSJ stopped sleeping in. I will say that the BSJ is the last to rise though.

I also find it most humorous when it tries to make a hermit crab part of it's burrow. It also moved to the other side of the tank one night. And it has slowly been moving all the rubble from one side to the other. It moved about a foot. I hope it find the new place comfortable. At least it's still out front.

Big Jay

I had a bit of an issue a few nights ago. My long time hitchhiker brittle star decided to take the BSJ burrow. THe BSJ moved to a hole in the rock near by. That hole was where the yellowtail damsel slept. The damsel was pissed but moved to a new hole a little too close for the Percula's comfort. Clowns are pissed.

So I woke up at 2 am to see if the star would be out. It was just enough for me to grab it. To the sump it went. BSJ moved back during a feeding and last night everything was back to normal. Whew!