Skimz going nuts

Mitchell

I have been hesitant to start up my skimmer again as it's all over the place with the fluctuating water levels, ( no auto top off yet but that's next on the list)

Ive decided I'll just have to stop being lazy and manually top up the sump each day until the top off system is in place.

So I followed the instructions for the skimmer and plugged it in. Right away it started filling up the cup with water. I adjusted both the gate valve and the air intake tap to their recommendations to no avail...still crazy amounts of really wet foam entering and filling the cup.

Finally i put my finger over the air intake hose on the skimmer pump and the water level in the skimmer dropped.

drywet by in his image, on Flickr

Here is what I did...I grabbed a piece of airline hose with a valve on it and stuck it in the intake hose. Then I adjusted the amount of air being sucked into the pump via the valve. It seems to have solved the problem. I'm getting dry foam up into the skimmer tube but not overflowing into the cup.

airintake by in his image, on Flickr

My question is...Can I leave it like this? Why the overflow problem without it?

Gate valve is as closed as I can get it and air intake tap is closed as well.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
is foaming for reason! Get a bigger catch bucket and let it fly, keep topping of the water level, this will end pretty quick

Willie McDaries

first thing to do is ignore the skimmer manufacturers recommendation for now and open the gate valve wide open,open the air intake wide open,start closing the gate valve until the foam is about half way into the neck of the skimmer and fine tune from there