Skimmer Upgrade???

Alien2100

I'm currently considering upgrading my ASM G1 skimmer. And I thought I'd ask a for few opinions or ideas. I've had the ASM on my 90gal for a few years now, and while undersized it's done okay. I would consider the tank to be a heavier bio load, consisting of a Sail Fin Tang, Yellow Tang, 2 mated Maroon Clowns, Goby Engineer, 3 Chromis, Blue Damsel, Star Fish, Soft Corals, LPS, and a BTA. One thing to note is all of the fish are of adult size. The skimmers only had one real upgrade, a year or more back the Sedra 2500 died and I replaced it with a Mag Drive 3 using the needle wheel and venturi from the Sedra (both required modification to fit). The performance did increase after the mod. Now I'm looking to add a few SPS to the top of my tank, and I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade the skimmer. A huge hurdle is going to be the skimmer foot print size, Currently I only have a space of 9 1/2" by 10 1/2" and the cabinet is 27 1/2" high. I've currently been looking at the Reef Octopus Extreme 6.4, SWC Xtreme 160 (I know there the same skimmer, lol) or maybe the AquaMaxx AM200-S. All of these use the same Sicce pump, and seem to be close in price, and all will fit in my sump. So I ask for the thoughts of my fellow RS members. Worth the money or should I be looking at other skimmers?
I've also attached a pic of 24hrs of skimming after emptying and cleaning collection cup.

Attachments

• ASM G1.JPG
    ASM G1.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 53

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I don't own one but i can say the SWC Xtreme 160 is very popular and people seem to love them.

Alien2100

Yeah that's what I've heard too. My concern is if it's worth the money, there bio load rating is 90gal for heavy, 120 medium, 150 light. I feel I'm right at the heavy bio load. And the size of the sump has me limited to what I can use.

DaveK

In my opinion, an upgrade of your skimmer from an ASM G1 to the SWC 160, or any of the other skimmers you are looking at would be an improvement, but it would be a marginal one. In other words, it would be better, but not that much better, not enough to justify spending about $275.

As for SPS corals, get 1 or 2 small, inexpensive frags, and try them in your existing system. If they do well, which I would expect, then you can add more exotic items. If you have problems with them, look at reducing the number of fish in the system.

Of course, you always could get a second tank, or upgrade the existing tank.

Alien2100

I appreciate everyone's input. I think I've decided to upgrade the whole setup under my tank. It's always been a bit under sized, do to space limitations or money. And has my tanks bio load has grown up over the years, this is really starting to show in the upkeep I have to do to keep everything in check. It's a 92gal Oceanic corner tank, and there's not a lot of room under the cabinet, so I've been running a Pro Clear Aquatics 175 wet dry, and the ASM G1 skimmer... The new setup will be a custom sump with a refugium and a larger are for a new skimmer. The sump will be 26x16x16 consisting of a 11x15.5 skimmer area, 8.5x15.5 refugium, and a small compartment for my return pump and phosphate reactor. This will also add about 10 more gallons in tank volume, and allow me to run either the SRO-XP2000I or the SRO-2000INT from Coralvue. Granted it's a big investment, but I think it will be worth the cost in the long run. Please feel free to chime in with any thoughts.
Oh, and I am doing this in two parts to ease the blow to the wallet, sump first, then the skimmer...

Schwa

I just upgraded my skimmer for an Octopus extreme 200 and I have to say it is the best darn thing I have done to my tank since I added an MP20 to it a while ago. I went from a downdraft beckett style that was rated for 200 gallons to the octo and in just a week my water is clearer and my corals including SPS look like the color is enhancing a fair amount. I dont even have a quarter of the floaties in my tank that I had before. I still have the Sicce pump in it with a PPW but am probably going to boost its performance to maximum with either a Askoll or Bubble blaster hy-3000 . I know I can do the mesh mod to the Sicce but I tried it and to have to go through that every 6 months or so is a real PIA no thanks.I think the 160 would be a hair on the small side for you but the 200 is real close in spec to the Hurricone that costs a couple hundred bucks more.
Reef Specialty has them for 289 shipped or you can upgrade to the Bubble blaster pump from the get go for about 450.00 complete shipped. They ship real fast too.I didnt get the BB pump upgrade due to my inexperience with the Sicce and wanted to evaluate that before i sunk an extra 200 into my skimmer I wish I had now it works ok but from what I hear the BB is legions above it in performance.

Alien2100

Yeah I've actually decided on either the SRO-XP2000I or SRO-2000INT, and they both come with the Bubble Blaster HY2000S, which seems to be a very reliable pump. The new larger sump will allow me to use either of these. Just out of curiosity do you have any problems with start up on the Sicce? I've heard its a good pump but can have start up issues.
I've seen Reef Specialty's online site, and seen a lot of positive post on them too, treads or reviews of new products they put out on forums. Seems like a good shop, but I have a LFS I do a lot of business with and they carry Coralvue product, so I'll probably pick it up there, thanks for the info though. I'm not going to pick it up until next month though, I'm having the new sump built this month, I'll have to post some pics when it's done, it's literally the largest I can fit under a 92gal corner, lol

Alien2100

Current setup, this used to be a fish only system and over the years has become a reef/fish system. It's small for a reef setup IMO. But I'm sure you see what I mean when I say limited space, the door to the cabinet is only 18" and the space from front to back supports is only 27" and with everything on a quarter circle getting something to slide in and fit is difficult. Most of the sumps that offered more water volume than what I have are 30" the 24" are all about the same has what I have. Going 26"x16"x16" allows me to add 10gallons to my real tank volume. (and this just barely fits) The other thing I had to consider was the height, it's at 27 1/2". And with the new sump running at 10" depth, as compared to 6" of this one. And a new skimmer of 22" that runs best at a depth of 6" to 8" inches, it only leaves me an inch of clearance with a 6" inch stand under the skimmer. Actually 3/4 of an inch of clearance because the sump uses 1/4 thick acrylic... I checked, I only need 1/2 inch to remove the cup, talk about close... I've read a few reviews that said the these skimmers seem to work best in 6 1/2" so if that works for me I'll have 1 1/4" of clearance.

Attachments

• photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 25