skimmer suggestions for 90 gal.

Any suggestions from anyone concerning their reccomendation on a reasonably priced skimmer that will handle a 90 gal. tank?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I second the Aqua C Remora Pro... I absolutely LOVE mine (hug it daily..LOL ). It is easy to set up, clean, adjust and works awesome! I have mine hanging on my sump. I like the HOB because it leaves more room inside the sump for a refugium :)

Yarr

Im not a great fan of HOB anymore. but that is due to me own personal experiences.. which leads me to my reccomendation.. DONT EVER get a JEBO HOB skimmer :), Id suggest the Remora Pro also.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I'm ordering a coralife 220g needlewheel today. A friend of mine has the 65g version and he loves it. A friend of a friend has a 125g version and he loves it as well.

Don't tell me overskimming is a bad thing now, cause I'm putting a skimmer accurately rated for 220g on my 50g tank :D

fidojoe

Fish Addict
It can be run either HOB or insump BTW. I would suggest running it in sump tho, as the pumps are quite large. I'm building a sump for mine.

Dragon Wrasse

fidojoe is right the pump on my coralife 125 was huge, but I do love the way the thing works, I was pulling dark brown foam within an hour of cranking the thing over.....a 220 on a 50 gal. WOW! that will be something to see, I thought the 125 on my 75 gal. was big......I think they work great.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Thats my goal... WOW! :D

It will barely fit under my stand, but there's 2 reasons to get the 220.

1) to severly overskim my tank

2) No one has the 125's in stock, and I'm very impatient

:bigblue:

Yarr

There are circles out there that believe overskimming isnt ideal and suggest skimming a tank to its rated volume. ( The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, Fossa Nilsen )

The only real problem with ovrskimming i see is it taking out more nutrients than it needs to and starves some of the tanks inhabitants. If you are a heavy/target feeder i wouldnt expect this to be a problem. Also as skimming super oxygenates the water that could in extreme circumstances have a negative effect.

I, for one, have a larger skimmer than is required for the simple reason it gives me breathign room if and when i go bigger again and also that i like ot feed my fish a lot.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I overstocked already (I know, I have a bad habbit of that) and I feed heavily, altho everything gets consumed by something within a few mins.

I just placed my order from marinedepot.com, I got the skimmer along with a bunch of other stuff.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I already posted this in my "call me crazy" thread, but I just thought I'd share with the people following this thread that this skimmer kicks serious butt! I have to drain the cup before I take it out cause it has to be tipped sideways to fit out of the stand, but thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :D The cup is huge, it holds about 64 oz of water and I've filled it 2x in less than 48 hrs with what my remora missed.