Skimmer recommendations?

My reef is set up in a 75 Gallon Tank with an Oceanic Sump (20G high). I'd been using a Bakpak skimmer hung on the back of the tank, but it recently crapped out on me. I'd like to get an in-sump skimmer to replace it and keep it out of the way underneath the tank.

I just went to the LFS to ask what they'd recommend and they tried to sell me a Berlin skimmer for $317.99. That seemed really high, and seems even higher now that I've come home and priced some Berlins online.

The open space in my sump to fit a skimmer is about 12" x 14" max. Does anyone have recommendations for a skimmer that will do a good job (that bakpak always kind of sucked), will fit in that space, and will not cost an absurd amount?

THANKS!

Anselth

Check out the ASMs and Octopus Needlewheels. The Terminator is supposed to be pretty good too, but I don't know how that would work size-wise. Hopefully Jack will pop in here, he knows all about them.

Buddha

I bought one of the Term II's, and I love it! There's several others here in RS who thought them and I'm sure they'll tell you the same.

I put mine together in less than 40 minutes (including retaping all the plumbing). It takes out ALOT more than my old skimmer ever did!!!!

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
is 24.5 the height? i have plenty of height room, but i only have about 12x14 for the body of the skimmer.

2 things the sump has plenty of room they also can be outside the sump if you have room for that

This is Techno Vicki's & Edd13's outside the sump

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I will do thatas soon as I get to the shop in about 45 minutes I will need your ship to address. If you have a shipping account you can save on your shipping

I ordered a T2 and I almost have it set up now. The last problem remaining is that when I tried to hook up the powerhead into the skimmer input, the powerhead needs 5/8" tubing for the powerhead output. The input for the skimmer needs 1/2" tubing. My local hardware had plenty of other size adapters but they'd never heard of a 5/8" to 1/2". Is that common issue with setting up this skimmer?

heating it up worked. thanks.

i teflon taped everything well when i put it together, but when i just finally turned it on it seems to be leaking in 3 different places. i have to shut it off and take a break for a while before i smash something. it's just really frustrating trying to work on a big object that's crammed into a really small, dark place.
(that's what she said)

Wow, I don't know what my problem is. I have tried tightening things, loosening things, extra teflon tape... i fix one leak and 3 more spring up in its place. I have soaked through 4 bath towels already and I'm losing my mind!

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Who is in the area that can possible help Bill with this plumbing issue I am to far to help other than via here

i think i am just going to replace one of the elbow joints tomorrow at the hardware store. i seem to have fixed everything else now but i cannot get that one joint to stop leaking, so i'm just going to go buy a new one. i've killed my fingers from all the tightening all night!

BEELZEBOB

i think i am just going to replace one of the elbow joints tomorrow at the hardware store. i seem to have fixed everything else now but i cannot get that one joint to stop leaking, so i'm just going to go buy a new one. i've killed my fingers from all the tightening all night!

i used a wrench...