skimmer question???!

DrHank

Why would you want to eliminate the sump on a 120 gallon tank? I would seriously consider rethinking your objective. You will be severely limiting the choices available to you. There are so many positives to using a sump and I honestly can't think of one negative. JMHO.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
It would be cheaper to use a sump and add in an MSX 200 Extreme skimmer (or something similar). Sumps seem complicated but really simplify things in the long run. I have to agree with DrHank

dianezoo

I have been debating hooking up a sump that is under my 90 gal tank.similar qustion.Right now things are as simple as can be = Im liking simple.
I have two excellent HOB skimmers running nicely. I do not have to worry about anything overflowing or flooding, salt creep under the tank or noise.Can you help with the pros and cons?. I have a new sump under my tank currently never set it up. (tank is not bottom drilled) I do not have a lifter pump, or overflow unit, or insump skimmer and pump. So those are the things in addition that I would need to buy. Before I do I need everyones help in deciding if its worth it. My tank runs sweet now. So help me with advantages of change by adding what I would need to run a sump and why. Ive had various reef tanks over the years and never had a sump.

Diane

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Sumps add water volume which contributes to stability of the system. The falling of the water from the tank to the sump oxygenates it, and the overflow skims the surface of the water, which tends to accumulate dissolved organics, and interferes with gas exchange. With an in sump skimmer it also supplies this dirty water to the skimmer for processing.

A sump allows you to remove hardware from the tank such as heaters, which can burn some creatures. It provides a place to add additives to the tank in a non stressful way.

It also afford you the opportunity to create a refugium, which is very beneficial to just about any sort of tank. Probably a dozen other reasons people can think of.

In sump skimmers are much better. That's another one

That being said, there is something to be said for if it ain't broke don't fix it. If I were you, and my tank was doing great, I would look at adding in a refugium. If the skimmer is doing the job, might want to leave it.

dianezoo

Thank you for your resonse.
A refugum for cheato as a scrubber appeals to me. I do not have room to hang one on my tank, or set up next to the system. If my sump is a refugum, I would stll need the exact same additional equipment as I would for the sump plus lighting, sand and rubble?

DrHank

You would need a means of getting the tank water to the sump and returning it to the tank. In your case the easiest way is probably using an overflow box and a return pump.

As far as the refugium is concerned, it is normally set up with sand, a bit of live rock and plant life. Most folks light them with an inexpensive bulb and reflector. That is essentially all you need.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
My refugium light is a simple clip on fixture with a 6500k CF floodlight. Really low tech, and works as well as anything. 12 bucks total for lighting