Skimmer producing tons of microbubbls after water change

I'm having a problem with everytime I do a water change my skimmer goes nuts for serval hours and then returns to normal. I had been purchasing the same salt water premixed from my local fish shop with no problems. I've mixing the salt well and even tried a food safe container to be on the safe side. I just can't figure it out. The salt is well mixed and clear, just doesn't make sense. I'm not cleaning the skimmer at the same time as the water change, that's not the problem. Just last week, I got some water from the local fish shop and had no problem with the microbubbles and the skimmer wanting to overflow. I'm using the same salt the LFS uses, they have 50 buckets (Tropic Marin Pro-Reef) of it at least. If anything I use to see the skimmer drop down a bit after doing some maintence on the tank, but not do the opposite and overflow.

The only other thing I can think of doing is purchasing a small container of the same salt to compare with the other batch I'm using.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Ive had that when the skimmer bubbles are more than the neck is designed for, water changes,food,hands and some tank "events" will change the viscosity of the water, try resetting the skimmer, less air more column height

I have a reef octopus with gate valve. If I open the valve more, the foam drops down inside the skimmer but still produces the microbubbles like crazy without making any skim for several hours. Anytimes I feed or do maintence in the tank, the skimme foam drops down because of the oils and what not, this is doing the opposite, like I'm adding a chemical to the tank even though I'm not. More frustrating than anything. Its done this evertime I mix the salt, yet I buy it mixed at the fish shop and have no issues.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
that is pretty normal, imagine how a skimmer works in fresh water, the water at the lfs is probably aged compared to your mixed, try throwing a powerhead with aeration into your new mixed and drive off the co2

tnwillia

If I read this right the only difference I see is the LFS RO/DI water supply and your home supply. Are you both on the "same" city/area water system?

that is pretty normal, imagine how a skimmer works in fresh water, the water at the lfs is probably aged compared to your mixed, try throwing a powerhead with aeration into your new mixed and drive off the co2

They do mix up a large quatity in a really big tank. I'm guessing that salt has been mixing for 2 to 3 days most likely because they can't use all that water in a day. I was told by Tropic Marin to mix the salt for 2 hours. I've even let it mix for 24 hours with the same results. I'm mixing 10 gallons at a time using (2) 250 gph powerheads and a heater.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Maybe the container you are mixing in throwing off something? I assume the LFS uses a tote you take home right? Different from what you mix in?

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

DesertOrchid

Is there some additive being put in besides the salt water....such as an aloe based dechlorinator or something? That will make a skimmer go nuts too. Not sure how RO/di works for chlorine....just a guess.

I'm using a tropic marin bucket to mix it, which is safe to use. Not adding anything to the salt when mixing. After talking to my LFS, the only conclusion we can come to is I'm not mixing the salt long enough. Was told my Tropic marin to mix for 2 hours but my fish store mixes the salt for at least 16 hours.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
dissolved C02 needs to offgas, C02 is an acid, acid reduces viscosity, like adding paint thinner to oil

dissolved C02 needs to offgas, C02 is an acid, acid reduces viscosity, like adding paint thinner to oil

When I mix it this time I will add another powerhead to the top part of the bucket and mix longer. Would using a top on the container effect the co2? I've always use a top on the mixing container.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
When I mix it this time I will add another powerhead to the top part of the bucket and mix longer. Would using a top on the container effect the co2? I've always use a top on the mixing container.
closed container? how to get oxy? after its all mixed for 24hr's its ok to cover for storage

Yeah, closed container. I've just been snapping the top on around the powerhead cord to keep dust out while mixing. lol Your saying mix it with the top off? Would an airstone help this?

sk8rdn

PicassoTrigger said:
Yeah, closed container. I've just been snapping the top on around the powerhead cord to keep dust out while mixing. lol Your saying mix it with the top off? Would an airstone help this?

Technically air stones don't add air to the water. They just help it to circulate to the surface to exchange gases at the surface. Still would need to be topless... Lol.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Technically air stones don't add air to the water. They just help it to circulate to the surface to exchange gases at the surface. Still would need to be topless... Lol.

so what are they pumping into the water ? I feel a Spock moment approaching

sk8rdn

sasquatch said:
so what are they pumping into the water ? I feel a Spock moment approaching

The bubbles rise too quickly to the top to allow good gas exchange. The best that they offer is circulation through reduced pressure and convective currents. This is even pointed out in a sticky from leebca.