Skimmer producing skimmate!?!

Now that i dont have fish in my tank and i am not feeding on a regular schedual, i was wondering if the skimmate being produced by my skimner will somewhat drop off in amount?

i cleaned my skimmer 2 weeks ago and when cleaning my skimmer i did all the normal things, although i did take a cleaning devise and some what cleaned inside the skimmer (so maybe the walls inside the skimmer are building up on the slime again)...the other day i soaked my pump in vinegar to help clean that a little more...i set my collection cup all the way down (wet) and generally it would fill in one day or so...it hasn't filled yet...

so has the skimmate production dropped off because i dont have any fish and i am not feeding anymore or because i gave it a pretty thorough cleaning or a combination of the two?

Thanks!

tatuvaaj

IMHO it is because your tank has much reduced nutrient input now. In my experience the number of fish (= fish feeding) correlate pretty directly to the amount skimmate produced if everything else stays the same.

lcstorc

I agree. Lack of fish and lack of food. Someone once referred to a skimmer as a fish toilet and it kind of is.