Skimmer Acting Wierd

kragon

I just got my new skimmer yesterday and the past hour it has been acting wierd like in the collection cup it starts to fill in twelve minutes i dont think that is right or is it, it dosent look very mucking it looks like clouded water, is this a problem or not i dont know, please help.

NCguy

WiseGuy
What kind of skimmer is it? Your skimmer is just going through a break-in process and it is wet skimming right now. You need to make sure that you have everything like gate valves or stand pipes fully open for a couple of weeks until it slimes up a little.We can help you more after we know which skimmer you have.

NCguy

WiseGuy
Did you stick your hand in the tank? Or did you just feed the fish? These things can cause a skimmer to go crazy and wet skim.

kragon

no but when i did cleaning it didnt do that now it is, i am sort of thinking i changed the skimming rate going to see if that helps.

NCguy

WiseGuy
If it's new I would honestly keep the stand pipe open (i believe the asm has one)for at least a few days or longer until you can see that it is producing some darker skimmate.Then you can close the pipe some to allow the bubbles to rise high enough to enter the collection cup. If you have this skimmer in-sump you don't have to worry about a flood but if it's external,it could be bad.

kragon

well it is in the sump but i just had to adjust it and it is fine but the bubbles are half way into the cylinder of the collection cup but its not fizzing over like it used to do when i guess it was wet skimming, this is a relief.

NCguy

WiseGuy
Yeah just keep an eye on it.Once it gets a thin slime coat inside the skimmer,you'll see a difference in the skimmate.