sixlines are evil!!!

sixline wrasses are evil!!!
just when you think they are nice and peaceful, you walk into your room and they are swimming across the tank with a hermit in their mouth!

They won't harm your corals but they will eat your clean up crew. They also like to burrow in the sand and that can cause problems with any unsteady LR. BUT, they sure are purty to look at.........:blueoh:

yea they are, it eats my hermits. i saw it picking a zoanthid once. only one peck, at the actual zoanthid, then it left.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I know people say Sixlines are ok in small tanks, but I've been reading a lot of posts here on RS lately about aggressiveness and bad behavior with Sixlines in smaller tanks

My sixline is not aggressive towards any of my fish, and he doesn't bother any corals or invertabrates either.

BTW... Sixlines sleep in a mucus cocoon, not in the sand.

vdituri

I would love to see a pic of that.
I haven't seen mine sleeping.
He just cruises around inspecting everything.
And he likes to bully the chromis. No one else is intimidated by him.

Scouter Steve

S what happens to the cocoon every day? I was cautioned that my yellow wrasse would arrive in one due to no sand to bury in but he was not in a cocoon.

surfzone

mine used to bully my chocolate tang that was three time his size. he came out when i reworked the rock.

prow

the "cocoon" is just a thick slime coat. when they wake up it slims off. critters and skimmer will take care of it. my friends six in his 100gal tank has become a little terrior. mean little fish, they must a cross between other wrasses and dottybacks.

Flamehawk

A sixline killed 5 firefish and a bigger wrasse before we could cacth him out of the tank. I felt so guilty for not being able to cacth it out sooner.

jhnrb

If you want protection for clams from small snail drills, or from round worms, etc then a six line is great for that, however, with the great cleaning and protection the six line offers comes a not so pleasant side once established. a sixline is not a fish to add just to view, and should be added on a need for its specialized good points. I have always had one in my reef tanks and yes problems with adding new fish after, but, the benefit to the corals and clams always outweighed the bad points, that is if corals are the prime theme of your system. Also you will not retain many small duster worms and the like as the wrasses will work their way through the small crustacian menu. they will not harm the corals and will seem to nip at corals from time to time but are cleaning off small food stuffs, they are not actually hurting the corals and occasionally they will appear to nip at fish, but are only cleaning parasites, it will be very easy to determine an attack from a mutual action. good luck. wish you much success. Oh and by the way I have also keep the iris wrass, very pretty, more expensive and seems to not be as bad as the six line but will also perform cleaning duties on the corals. the diff is the iris wrasse gets larger and burries in the sand at night.

pyro627

My sixline was fine till I got a green mandarin he beat up on it so much I had to give the mandarin to my buddy

lcstorc

Mine is mostly ok except for when adding new fish. He bullies them for a while but once they are there a few days he backs off. Nothing really serious just intimidation. They are good at cleaning up. I have a 6-line in one tank and a red coris in another. I prefer the red coris but they get really big.
I'm with Wit as well. Let him take out the crabs. They eat the snails.
Unfortunately I still have a couple of hermits even though I thought I had them all out. My six-line has never touched them. Then again I have a much larger system for them to hide in.

Melanie

I have a six line and if anything, he gets bullied by the Kole Tang. I have never seen him be anything other than a model reef citizen. I actually really like him.

Witfull

6 lines are the reef chihuahua,,,,all they need is a bigger critter to keep it in line. in small tanks they are mean,,,,put them in the dogpound with a pit and a rotty,,,,they learn to be cool fool~