Single Type Coral Tank

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've been kicking this idea around for a couple of days now and would love your input. At one time or another, you've seen a beautiful tank which has only a certain type of coral - ricordia gardens, Zoa fields, leather tanks etc.......they are all beautiful due to the different variations you can get and the color spectrums.

I have a "small" tank (28g JBJ nano) and I don't have a ton of room for a bunch of different corals, their sweeping tentacles, chemical warfare, varying flow rates etc....blah blah so this concept intrigues me.

Can anyone speak to their experience with these type of tanks? Can corals of the same "type" touch and overlap each other with no problems?

Thanks! :apimp:

BK

Robzilla

Yes, corals of the same type can touch (hammer, frogspawn, torch can all be next to each other etc). What type are you thinking?

Sounds like a cool idea! I'm thinking along those lines for fish, not corals, for my tank.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm thinking zoas and possibly keeping my wellsophyllia in the front. i want two types to morph together into a new kind/color and then i want to name them after myself hahahahaha. I love all the weird/different names for the same coral people use. I have also seen a ricordia garden and they are really nice as well

TylerHaworth

Homogeneous tanks, if you will, are actually supposed to be far easier to maintain and care for than mixed reefs for all of the reasons mentioned. Light, flow, warfare, parameters, etc. I say go for it!

catran

I think it's a great idea! That way you don't have to worry about a lot of issues. My biggest challenge is water flow rate for the different corals I have in the RSM, which has a high flow. I have to stuff corals that don't like a high flow rate in the corners and then, they're hard to see. There are no zoas that need more light than the others, no rics that need more water flow, etc. You would be able to create the optimal environment for those corals you choose!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
yeah, I'm really thinking of doing zoas......but could ricorida and zoas coexist/overlap if they did touch? i may need to turn my mp10 down! I wonder how well they will grow under my LED's. I hav a set of bam bam's now which seem to be doing pretty good.

Sounds like it is time for some zoa research.

steved13

PREMIUM
Sounds like a cool idea, I don't think I'd have the discipline, I'd see something else, I want and get it, and there goes the plan, LOL

seafansar

I have the same tank. Zoas and rics both do fine under LED's. Plus SPS and LPS do great too! lol. My only concern with zoas is that one might decide to grow faster and take over the others, but a little trimming every now and then could help stop that.