Simon's RSM250 - Beginner Advice Please

aquachemist

Finally put my UVC sterilizer on and the chiller in the cabinet.
76477220437020de99a20f310f9cb4d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

aquachemist

I've had them on Freshwatwer tanks and they really polished the water for me so it should make a difference in saltwater too. Only just put it on so I'll wait a week or two to see the difference.

aquachemist

Because if your skimmer doesn't have a man hole for cleaning access......it's not big enough haha

Danreef

Nice and pretty fish. I love the yellow tang. Feed him with algae at least once every week or frequently. You will have a strong fish in that way. That guy eats everything you damp in the tank. But algae is his main diet and helps him to be strong.

The blue star is incredible beautiful. I had one many years ago.

Nice !!!!

aquachemist

There is still plenty of algae on the back wall and little bits on the rocks so he'll be busy for a while. Yeah the Linckia Starfish is awesome but I'm surprised how little he's moved around. Been almost a week and he's gone from the bottom of that rock to not even halfway lol. Think I'll name him sloth

aquachemist

Cheers guys.

I'm having high Nitrate levels at the moment (hence the algae) so I'm doing more frequent water changes. Was doing a single 25% per fortnight now upping that to 20% twice a week to get Nitrates down. I hadn't stirred the substrate up in ages so I'm guessing that built up a fair bit of the Nitrogen (I assumed the snails and hermits would do that for me). But stirring it up with each water change now.

I've got phosphates sitting at 0.08ppm for a few weeks now too, what's the best way to keep them at zero?

Desmond

I use Chemi-Pure Elite in my tank which should help , but i also add NOPOX which helps control the levels , i have being using 1 ml per day now but will reduce to .5 and then nothing by the end of the month. I also have a bag of Purigen in the media rack to help control Ammonia , N02 AND N03.Be careful doing so many water changes. Have you tested the N03 level of the fresh water you make up for the change out of interest ?

aquachemist

No but I use an RODI unit which I also use for my freshwater nano tank and that has 0 Nitrates so its not the RODI