Sick Fish

unifi

So I thought I had a fish ready to spawn, but as it turns out my fish is not going to spawn however, it is sick. The video I have taken shows the fish gilling rapidly and may have some sort of blockage. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I appreciate any info. Thank you.

[video]http://youtu.be/w7CPIzu7t1Y[/video]

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I've seen a puffer fish constipated n we fed it a pea. It crapped up a storm n lived but its a stretch. Dudes belly is huge. Just a guess good luck.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

leebca

Sad to see. Not very common in marine fishes, but it does sometimes appear.

There are generally two primary causes of this illness. The first, and most likely, is an internal bacterial infection. The second is a liver and/or kidney failure. If it's the second, there isn't anything to be done. The hope is that it is a bacterial infection and thus proceed to treat as such. However, at the current stage of development it is hard to treat and the infection itself may have caused internal damage the fish won't be able to repair.

I euthanize fish that come to me in this condition: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/57513-euthanasia-putting-fish-down.html

If you'd like to attempt treatment, you need an antibiotic that goes inside the fish -- not eaten by the fish, but which goes through the skin of the fish to fight systemic bacterial infections.

Obtain one of the following -- whichever you can get the fastest:

Maracyn Two (for saltwater or freshwater fishes) -- the antibiotic Minocycline, or
Nitrofurazone (the Aquatronics’ product: Furacyn), or
FURAN-2 (by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)

If you get Maracyn Two, double the dosage recommended on the medicine instructions. If you obtain one of the other two, just follow instructions.

unifi

Thank you both for your time in giving me some potential answers. Unfortunately, the little guy didn't make it through the night. It came on very rapidly (2 days), and by the time I was able to recognize an issue I believe it was too late. Again thank you very much, hopefully having this information here may help someone else in the future.