Shrimp Larvae Trap

biju708

Hi fellow reefers,
My cleaners shrimps hatch larvae on a regular basis and I never managed to save any :-(

I want to build a DIY larvae trap like this one featured here YouTube - shrimp larvae trap

I also want to use it for my clown fish breeding tank and help please ? cause I'm not sure I understand how it exactly works, but it looks cool :)

This is how I think it should work.

DIY_Shrimp_trap.jpg

what do you guys think ?

Aqua Pro

Hi fellow reefers,
My cleaners shrimps hatch larvae on a regular basis and I never managed to save any :-(

I want to build a DIY larvae trap like this one featured here YouTube - shrimp larvae trap

I also want to use it for my clown fish breeding tank and help please ? cause I'm not sure I understand how it exactly works, but it looks cool :)

This is how I think it should work.

DIY_Shrimp_trap.jpg

what do you guys think ?

So finally how does it work? Does it work like your diagram or something else?

biju708

slysock I got some live ones but died a few days later my guess is the food.

AquaPro it works like in the diagram the only thing I added is a T in the middle so that the air escapes from there. In the photo you can see it clearly.

slysock

thats pretty cool, are you just trying to raise the cleaner shrimp? how did you get them to start breeding?

JustDavidP

I've used the fry to feed fish and seahorses. It's hard to get them to live to sub-adult or to a decent size. There seems to be more work needed in understanding the food bridges involved. I've found that they live quite long, as fry, in a greenwater soup of phyto and rotifers etc. I just lose them trying to bridge them from there, into BBS, Cyclopeeze or other larger fare.

Best of luck. I'd really love to hear that you've been successful. Keep us updated.

Dave

AprilK

Hi,
This Larvae Collector design comes from my book, How To Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shrimp. Apparently, people are putting the ideas on the internet without crediting where they got them.

It is made from a 2 liter soda bottle and 1/2" PVC pipes, and can be used in reef tank setups so you can collect larvae without disturbing your tank. It can be used for collecting larvae of many species. You use a nightlight or one of the LED "moonlights" (outside the tank of course) to attract the larvae to the airlift intake, which sucks them into the bottle to await your retrieval in the morning.

April Kirkendoll

biju708

Thanks April, and well done for your invention. I'm sorry I did not give you credit I found the video on youtube and had no idea who the inventor was. Again thanks a lot the system has given me the opportunity to collect shrimps and also clown fish fry.

AprilK

Hi,
Your alterations to the Larvae Collector idea are interesting. The airlift is near the middle of an extended intake tube which might make it less disturbing to the adult fish near their nest (no bubbling noises up close).

Since it seems the airlift is a bit shorter, does your configuration work well? Are you able to capture all or most of a hatching?

If not, and you need more "suction power", you could go back to the original arrangement (as shown in the first drawing), but merely add on an elbow and extension tube to the entrance of the intake tube. That way you would have the full airlift depth (creating more suction), while keeping its bubbling noises away from the nest. Only the extended intake opening would be near the nest.

AAK!

cyanight

Hi April,

I tried to build a larvae collector like yours but it does not seem to work. It sucks up the larvae but they do not get collected in the 2 liter container. I don't understand why its not working. I am using this for collecting clown fish larvae but I also noticed my pepermint shrimp are breeding as well but Im mostly interested in using it from clown fish. Please help if you can, thanks :)