Show off your Mantis Shrimp......enter at your own risk!

schackmel;Now I am not sure if he is going through molt or not. Since I have never seen a mantis go through one said:
We've had him since January. I breed snakes & I can tell when they are about to shed from the caps that start to form on their eyes & their behavior. The 1st time our mantis molted I saw the same filminess to his eyes. Sure enough about 3 or 4 days later he molted. He's molted 3 times already. I missed it once & didn't know until I saw his empty molt. It could be that I'm wrong about the eyes but I keep watching for it. He also seems very restless or uncomfortable, it's hard to describe. I watch him a lot so I know when things change with him.

chrome91

ive seen that video, its interesting.

my live rock is in the center of the 55g and its 18" wide, so hes got room and there wont be any teasing

Last question, anyone been successful with keeping fish with mantis?

schackmel

I will eventually add fish in a couple months...it is something that people say dont do and I might get blasted, but again I know somebody who has kept mantis for many years and has always kept fish with them. He said first you want to establish a feeding routine with the shrimp....that is why you want to wait a couple months. When you first get them, they will grab whatever they can because they dont "know" when their next meal is coming. But by establishing a regular feeding schedule it will decrease the drive...a fed shrimp will not go after a fish, to much work. He oversimplified the whole thing for me...but it is the basic concept.

I also am working on never dropping the food in the tank. When I feed krill or silversides I use a feeding stick and hold it down to him. IMHO dropping it in would stimulate a fish swimming to him, being on a stick, you are giving it to him. Same when I give him a crab or snail..he sees me drop it in the tank...hence he associates me with supplying his food.

Of course, you dont ever want to feed a fish to them if you are planning on keeping fish in there. Also dont want to keep any fish that are bottom dwellers or slow moving fish...I wouldnt keep anything like a clown goby or a sandsifter...way to tempting! Plus I am not going to buy anything expensive, because you never know when Bob will break the rules...even though my friend has kept many of mantis with fish and never lost a fish, Bob may not have read the same MANTIS BY-LAWS!

I think somebody on here has fish with their mantis...I cant remember who a firefish...I think I am going to go with the obnoxious damsels!

chrome91

bob has a firefish with his. i know someone who got one as a hitchhiker and its been in the tank for 4 years and he just noticed it a few months ago and he never lost any of this 14 fish. im hoping if i feed mine enough he will leave everything alone. if my scooter blenny lives im hoping to try a oscellaris clown, firefish, and maybe a flame angel

Intranick

I have been researching the mantis shrimp a lot lately, I would like to get one.

The two that seem to be what im looking for are either:
G. Smithii
or
P. Ciliata

I'm not sure if I want a spearer or a smasher.. so I read the descriptions of ALL of the ones on Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

Does anybody think another species might work for me?
I would be setting up a tank just for it, and maybe a few 'shrooms or polyps

untilthen

to be honest with you it all depends on the animal... i have a virdis who is also said to be very active... but he hides alot... but i am seeing him becoming more curious as time goes on. As for keeping fish... keep fish that are going to swim higher in the water... damsels would be a good choice... also if you have a fish in the tank it will promote the mantis to be less shy.
i often help him build his burrow by poking rocks near him wit a stick and he grabs them and takes em down under... were quite a team...

so let me introduce my lil buddy...

Wall-E

DSC02424.jpg

DSC02429.jpg

he was all white when i got him... but he has acutally been starting to change to a purple color because of the rocks he lives in... he is very interesting... but to answer ur question... GO WITH A G. SMITHII

to be honest with you it all depends on the animal... i have a virdis who is also said to be very active... but he hides alot... but i am seeing him becoming more curious as time goes on. As for keeping fish... keep fish that are going to swim higher in the water... damsels would be a good choice... also if you have a fish in the tank it will promote the mantis to be less shy.
i often help him build his burrow by poking rocks near him wit a stick and he grabs them and takes em down under... were quite a team...

so let me introduce my lil buddy...

Wall-E

he was all white when i got him... but he has acutally been starting to change to a purple color because of the rocks he lives in... he is very interesting... but to answer ur question... GO WITH A G. SMITHII

Hey Wall-E....Meet Mr. McMantis...What size tank do you have him in? He looks so tiny! I couldn't find him in the 1st 2 photos, hee hee. I usually use the macro setting of the digital to photograph SW individuals. That could be contributing to his shyness (the tank being so huge). I wasn't prepared for my mantis since he was a hitch hiker so I didn't have time to set up a tank. Mr. McMantis acquired our 10g quarantine tank but will soon be in a 29g. He was tiny too but never shy. I'm glad he started off in a smaller tank or I believe he could have been shy too. I've noticed that the closer I get to the tank, the more he recognizes me & the further away I am my shadows keeps him on alert. I see that behavior when someone new comes to see him. He'll back off & be cautious. It doesn't last long though. After a short while he's swimming & doing his tricks or moving his furniture. His favorite pastime of late is moving his shell pile. He's a neat freak & he knows where each shell goes. If you move it, he hunts it down & puts it exactly where it was.

I've only had personal experience with a peacock mantis so I can only give a bias opinion. I love the peacocks, their colors are amazing, they're smart & they remember & they're bold (at least mine is).

untilthen

ah yes i no he is very tiny... hes still a pup... hes in my 10 g and will never exceed its limit, i didnt want anything bigger and have to deal wit chem problems... but he will get bigger... and im sure with his size he will get a lil bolder... but i do like ur mantis... very easy on the eyes