Show me your prop tank!

ReefLady

Staff member
I'd like to see and hear about some frag systems people have set up.

Personally, I'm more interested in growing and propagating corals these days than I am just keeping them. Heart of a farmer I guess...

I'll post some pics and a description of my prop tank soon.

Travis

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I don't have a seperate prop tank. I just keep the frags toward the front of the main tank until they're ready to trade. Come to think about it.. with better lighting, I could use my sump too. :)

I'm anxious to see everyone else's!

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
Originally posted by Travis
I'd like to see and hear about some frag systems people have set up.

Personally, I'm more interested in growing and propagating corals these days than I am just keeping them.

Travis

Me too, I started a 20g long frag tank but turned it into a ZOO tank ( them Zoos are addicting) I'm thinking of setting up a Cube tank in my garage for Frags to trade and sell to help support my habit. I would love to see some ideas.

blenny

this is what was previously my 29g quarantine tank...which was previously my main mini-reef. hey, can't let a tank just sit around empty, can i?

116zootank.jpg

nothing special... i run a skimmer on occasion for several days, but the zoos seem to do better w/o it. so, all it is is a heater, a powerhead, an overflow filter that i've only used when treating for flatworms, a bunch of larger live rock, smaller live rock chips for propagation, and some rocky substrate (also for propagation)...and some snails. water changes every couple weeks...

the tank itself has been running for over a year since the last time i broke it down...it's been a prop tank for about 7 months now.

sometimes i feel like the tank should've crashed on me by now w/ how little maintenance i've done on it in the past year, but so far no problems.

blenny

blenny

thanks, guys. i'll let y'all know when i'm ready to trade/sell... at first, i just started the prop tank to give pieces to my friends/family, but now that i've done that, what else am i going to do with them?

woodstock, i live in durham.

jks1, i have a 65w actinic and a 65w 10k over the tank... w/ more lighting, i would probably get faster growth, but that was the fixture i had from when it was a mini-reef...don't want to let that go to waste. growth has been steady. most colonies after sitting still for a couple of weeks start budding off fairly regularly.

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
Originally posted by Woodstock
Yeah, Scott, he lives in between us ;)

Now now guys don't go hijacking all of Blenny's zoos :D Save some for this West Coaster LOL

I will get a pic of my Zoo/frag tank tonight and post it.

blenny

wow... have i just opened up shop w/o even knowing it? :)

anyways, i'll post some pics up of my setup as soon as i can, travis...but honestly, there's very little to show.

i've hit a busy time at work, but once i'm through it, now that i have the 10MB for contributing members pictures, expect a lot more photos!

blenny

wooddood

the wood dude
hey blenny that 10mb is great is'nt it?i think you should send me some of those zoos first so i can evaluate them before everyone else,what ya think?lol.

danny254

Heres my system (only about 3 weeks old now) for broodstock and growout, mainly for zoanthids and mushrooms, All three of the rubbermaid containers are connected and circulated through a mag7. Lighting is 4 110w VHO's. I don't use a protein skimmer, since zoanthids seem to be fine in higher nutrient water. And no calcium or KH supplements.

Attachments

• hairy shroom.jpg
    hairy shroom.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 153

danny254

Here is My refugium/frag tank for sps frags. The lighting is 1 250w SE MH in a DIY pendant. All the frags are kept on an eggcrate rack about 3 or 4 inches below waters' surface. Right now I have about 50 frags in there and its 3/4 full, about time for me to expand to a seperate frag tank for sps.

Attachments

• clowning around vina.jpg
    clowning around vina.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 77