Shout out to the community

Wanted to give a hello to all. Just started into the saltwater hobby, have had freshwater tanks in the past. Currently have a 72 gallon bowfront with a 30 gallon sump. Just went thru a very stressful week in my life! Curing rock! Ammonia is finally down after 1-1/2 week, now watching the nitrites. Have 50lbs of fiji and 50 lbs totoka.

Planning on it being a FOWLER tank.

Other equipment: AquaC Remora skimmer, Danner Mag drive 1200 pump, maxijet 1200 powerheads, lights etc.

Look forward to chatting and learning a bunch!

Jeff

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I posted some pics of my tank. Just rock right now and not the best arranged (looking to get best circulation).

Last edited:

lcstorc

Here they are.
Once you add the pics to your gallery you can go to a pic and scroll down toward the bottom of the screen. There you will see a copy to clipboard button. Copy the text in the box and paste it in your post. That will make the pic appear like this.
tank3JPG.JPG

tank4.jpg

Looks like a very nice start.

flricordia

very nice rock. Do it right though and go another 3-4 weeks before adding any livestock. Even after the readings are good you should let the tank get a good cycle on and avoid nusiance algae outbreaks. This is where we often get into trouble. Patience is a virtue applies big time to reef keeping. Getting inpatient and stocking too soon will cost you much in the way of fighting unwanted algea and unhealthy corals not to mention die-offs. Let the diatom bloom happen. Don't do any water changes or clean off the brown algae for at the very least a month. 6 weeks is ideal. You will be rewarded with a clean, self-sustaining system. But, as with so many of us, you will probably have to learn the hard way and stock too soon. This last tank is the first that I waited for a full cycle and now it runs itself on chaeto fuge with no skimmer, UV, chemicals, just bi-weekly water changes.

Not wanting so steal your thread or show-off, just want you to see what you can expect if you wait it out. I cycled almost 8 weeks back in Aug 06 before adding any livestock and have yet to have any problems.

8473rictank041007-med.jpg

flricordia,

Thanks for the great advice and that is a beautiful pic! I do plan on waiting and waiting some more. I have the patience and want to do it right, my kids on the other hand :smirk: they only have 10 more to go to get to the 100th "Can we get some fish yet Dad?"

Wow 6 months for a water change? The popular opinions I've seen say to do a 10% to massive change as soon as the nitrates are down. Not true?

What about adding chaetomorpha? Since my ammonia is at 0 is it safe now?

Same question for adding sand.

This is open to anyone to apply on the questions. Karma for the helpers thus far :whstlr:

Thanks!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I think you misread the prior post... "One month to 6 WEEKS" before the tank cycles. Perform a water change then. A cycled tank will have ZERO ammonia and nitrItes. Keep the nitrAtes at 10ppm or less.

That is good that the ammonia is zero but test the nitrItes before adding anything. However, if the sand is dry, you can add it now; if it is "live", I would wait until the tank is finished cycling.

Thanks for the clarifications Woodstock. LOL yeah, re-read 6 weeks sounds better. Aww yes Nitrites not nitrates.

Thoughts on when to add chaeto to the refugium?

Thanks in Advance.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I dont think the chaeto addition is critical, if theres no nutrient it just dosent grow much, its more like,when will it be available. If theres not enough room for it to tumble, just turn it over every couple of days.Steve