Should I freak out?

CC2

Ive done everything that I thought I was supposed to do set my system up.
All equip was brand new...
75g with 55g sump
spectra pure RO/DI
2 koralia 3
IN-100 skimmer
80lb marco rock /25 lb live fiji
80 lb live aragonite
2 250 MH 14k
0 ammonia
1.026 sg
pH 8.2

I used biospira and added some clowns and chromis.

Its been up a month now.The diatoms are crazy and my water is cloudy.

The chromis started showing signs of scales missing then died these last two days.The Clowns and zoas I have are fine.

Ive done two 20% water changes.One last week and one this morning.This morning I actually tried to vacuum the slimy algae off the sand but I think I just covered it up or mixed it in..

Im having fun but just getting a little concerned about the algae...

any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

chipmunkofdoom2

Its been up a month now.

Here's your mistake. Tank is too new to support all that life.

When the tank cycles, that simply means that it can support the current bioload... which is nothing, or what you used to start the cycle. If you did not initiate the cycle, there again is another cause for problems. It is useful to mention at this point that very few "miracle" additives do what they claim, especially when they claim they can make a month to 2 month long process happen instantaneously.

I'm going to infer from your pluralization of clowns that you had at least 4 fish in the tank. If the cycle wasn't very very hard, that type of bioload increase is almost guaranteed to cause problems.

It's possible the chromis were just sick from the store/transport/capture, but I suspect the tank.

Just watch the clowns for signs of distress, keep some ammonia neutralizer on hand, and SLOW DOWN. That's really all you can do at this point.

Good luck

CC2

That sounds about exactly right Chipmunk.
My biggest problem is the ammonia spike caused by my rushing those fish in there , not the algae.
Just zipped down to Petsmart (ewww) and bought some ammo neut.

Thanks for your fast reply and frankness.

I will learn.

wm23oh

Biospora sometimes has caused mini-cycles about a month to two months in per several other sources. Just keep up with your W/C and keep an eye on that ammonia. I highly recommend taking the fish back for now until you get your tank under control. It's a slow progress sometimes.

James