Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Shaun - Don't buy any more of the Purple Queen Anthias for now. Looking around, they appear to be quite difficult to keep. Feeding seems to be the problem. See how you get on with the two, and if there are no problems, then get some more.
Thanks and yes I know - I read up about them in detail when i got them home, but they were feeding at the shop and ive seen them feeding so far, but I'm not going to get anymore until I know they are ok having read the detailed threads etc about their care. They arn't cheap either at around £35 each I think.

I'm pleased with the Black Leopard Wrasse - hes a very pleasant fellow and very unusual with colours etc.

Nobbygas

Well, what is happening with the Red Sea Mesh Cover? Is it any good? Is it tricky to fit? How does it work with the Return Nozzle? Get yer finger out lad !
I'm still leaning towards getting a Reeftops cover, but the price difference makes the RS one very tempting.

SPR

Well, what is happening with the Red Sea Mesh Cover? Is it any good? Is it tricky to fit? How does it work with the Return Nozzle? Get yer finger out lad !
I'm still leaning towards getting a Reeftops cover, but the price difference makes the RS one very tempting.
Your about as patient as me! Lol

It’s not due to be delivered until early/mid December but I’ve done a pre order so just awaiting delivery.

To be honest I don’t really want a cover and unless it’s un noticeable I’m not going to use it if it spoils the look of the tank, but I have had 1 fish, my Royal Gamma which I had since I started, jump out, so if it’s ok and saves the fish that will be fine

SPR

Your about as patient as me! Lol

It’s not due to be delivered until early/mid December but I’ve done a pre order so just awaiting delivery.

To be honest I don’t really want a cover and unless it’s un noticeable I’m not going to use it if it spoils the look of the tank, but I have had 1 fish, my Royal Gamma which I had since I started, jump out, so if it’s ok and saves the fish that will be fine
Talk about tempting fate!!

I wish Red Sea would hurry up with my new cover! Can you believe I got up this morning to find my cleaner wrasse had rocketed his way out of this life!

It’s got me nervous now as a few days ago I got a larger Magnificant Foxface and a Labouts Wrasse as below:

IMG_1428.JPGIMG_1433.JPGIMG_1444.JPGIMG_1445.JPG

Nobbygas

Sorry to hear about your loss, but at least it was a cheap one !
I've had two fish go carpet surfing, well, three in fact, but the third (Flame Dwarf) jumped out as I was stood near the tank so I was able to pick him up and pop him back !
The best news for me is that She Who Casts No Shadow has this thing about the water evaporation, and she thinks a cover will reduce it. I just smile and gently nod, as I can see that nice (and possibly expensive) cover being purchased soon........just to keep her happy of course :)

That Labout's Wrasse should really be called a Magnificent Labout's Wrasse. Beautiful colours.

SPR

The best news for me is that She Who Casts No Shadow has this thing about the water evaporation, and she thinks a cover will reduce it. I just smile and gently nod, as I can see that nice (and possibly expensive) cover being purchased soon........just to keep her happy of course :)

That Labout's Wrasse should really be called a Magnificent Labout's Wrasse. Beautiful colours.

Very amusing - a mesh cover to reduce evaporation! Lol

I now need the cover quick as the ‘Magnificent’ Labouts Wrasse wasn’t cheap. I know wrasses jump but it’s only over the last few months I’ve been adding them. And yes I can confirm they are jumpers!

Nobbygas

I can see it wasn't cheap, but it's a Wrasse......and they can jump.....If I were you I would lay across the tank all night, every night, until the mesh cover arrives....just to be safe.
Get the missus to take some pictures please.

Nobbygas

What’s the reason for not having a glass top, wouldn’t it eliminate the need for an ATO? Coming back after 30years, can’t remember much from those days!
Hello Peter. A glass top will severely hinder the gas exchange that is necessary. Plus, condensation will build on the underside of the glass, and I assume this will affect the amount of light getting through? Also, having to lift a glass top every time you want to either feed, or dip your hands in the tank (for whatever reason) would be a problem due to the weight of the glass.

SPR

After I sent that I did wonder about oxygen levels, but I’m guessing, as you say, salt encrustations will hinder the light getting through clearly. Cheers!
The Red Sea Max S Series and many of their other new tanks don't have tops as its part of the 'modern' look and they do look stunning and yes a glass top would both hinder gas exchange, despite the skimmer, and also be a real pain to get into the tank for feeding etc.

I'm hoping the new mesh cover will look ok and not spoil the look of the tank from a viewing upwards/sideways point of view so that when I stare at it endlessly in the evenings it doesn't spoil anything!

Ill post some pictures once it arrives and Ive installed it.

Nobbygas

The Red Sea Max S Series and many of their other new tanks don't have tops as its part of the 'modern' look and they do look stunning and yes a glass top would both hinder gas exchange, despite the skimmer, and also be a real pain to get into the tank for feeding etc.

I'm hoping the new mesh cover will look ok and not spoil the look of the tank from a viewing upwards/sideways point of view so that when I stare at it endlessly in the evenings it doesn't spoil anything!

Ill post some pictures once it arrives and Ive installed it.
I'm interested to see how it deals with the Return Nozzle, because I don't think the top of the nozzle is 'flush' with the brace bar on the front of the tank, so will it need a few corner pieces to 'get around' it? Will they be part of the package or will you have to buy some extra bits?

Questions, questions, questions.......

SPR

I'm interested to see how it deals with the Return Nozzle, because I don't think the top of the nozzle is 'flush' with the brace bar on the front of the tank, so will it need a few corner pieces to 'get around' it? Will they be part of the package or will you have to buy some extra bits?

Questions, questions, questions.......
According to the details they are custom made including all the fittings to each of the Red Sea tanks. You order the kit with the part code that matches your particular tank and it includes all the necessary fittings which get around the parts such as return nozzle, light fittings etc.

Nobbygas

According to the details they are custom made including all the fittings to each of the Red Sea tanks. You order the kit with the part code that matches your particular tank and it includes all the necessary fittings which get around the parts such as return nozzle, light fittings etc.
We expect a full report, including the details of the cutting etc. Be careful with the sharp knife though, because...er...they're sharp.

SPR

I changed around 120 litres of water today (I basically empty the sump of water) as a water change, and afterwards I was just cleaning the glass and noticed something on the bottom of the tank. It was my beautiful Black Leopard Wrasse being eaten by crabs!!!

I took him out but it makes me wonder why some fish just don’t last and wether they are bullied by other fish when I’m not looking. Or if he had something wrong with him. I shall never know.

I’m not going to get anymore fish until I’ve installed the mesh cover from Red Sea as I’ll probably get a few different Wrasse’s to replace the ones lost and clearly some of them like to fly....

Nobbygas

I changed around 120 litres of water today (I basically empty the sump of water) as a water change, and afterwards I was just cleaning the glass and noticed something on the bottom of the tank. It was my beautiful Black Leopard Wrasse being eaten by crabs!!!

I took him out but it makes me wonder why some fish just don’t last and wether they are bullied by other fish when I’m not looking. Or if he had something wrong with him. I shall never know.

I’m not going to get anymore fish until I’ve installed the mesh cover from Red Sea as I’ll probably get a few different Wrasse’s to replace the ones lost and clearly some of them like to fly....
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that.

SPR

I purchased a white anemone a while ago and he stayed in his happy spot for a while but then decided it was time to explore ‘my’ tank and proceeded to march around the live rock stinging and killing everything in its path and in particular my prized corals many of which I’ve grown from small frags.

It moved to a point were it’s foot was well inside some crevices in the live rock so over the past few days I’ve been poking and pulling gently at it so that it’s been moving to a new ‘happy spot’ or so It thought !!!

I came home today and had the perfect time to strike with my cunning plan!! It had come around to a part of live rock were I could actually see the foot. What I then did was get a long coral feeder which a push syringe and proceeded to blast the foot with tank water by just sucking it in and blasting it out. Surprisingly enough, the foot started to release so that I could get the point of the coral feeder just under and a few more blasts and it just let go without any harm to the anemone or me!

I’d been interested in anemones for ages before I got one, but the sight of it killing corals was just to stressful to bare so thats was it.

So there is my top tip of how to remove an anemone from live rock. My other top tip is do not put an anemone in a full blown well stocked reef tank in the first place unless you want to potentially kill your prized corals off!

So off to the shop I went, and it was most peculiar me actually taking them something in a bag!

The last picture shows the coral damage/deaths before I got him out.

IMG_1487.JPGIMG_1488.JPGIMG_1492.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Good job getting it out. Just another amazing thing about this hobby of ours. anemones can be a right pain, but they are beautiful aren't they !
I just lost mine. It had survived the various chemicals that I had put into the tank during the 'plague'. It seemed as though it had found itself a nice spot, and appeared happy and was growing nicely, then I bought the new Clowns. One of the Clowns, as they do, decide to make the anemone his home, and from that point onwards it just gradually withered away until it died. It just didn't look as though it enjoyed the Clown rubbing into it all the time.

and so.......what did you get in exchange for it?

Reactions: SPR