Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

With the MP's, and looking at the video, do you have any concerns about the reduction in the water surface movement?

I’ve been watching the surface movement in the S650 for a while now after changing to the MP40’s because a film was forming on the surface.

So yesterday I raised the MP40’s about 4 inches higher up and problem solved. The surface is now agitated and clear.

Ive also increased the flow on both tanks to near maximum. I sort of fell into a mindset that at night the corals/fish might like a calmer environment, because I might (but I’m not a fish or coral! Lol).

So instead of dropping down flow and into Lagoon mode at night, I’ve reduced the power a bit but were in full Reef Crest mode

It’s great being able to control flow patterns like this, something else to fiddle with!

Pancho75

That sounds great, how close to the surface do you have the MP40s?

I don’t know if fish appreciate the variable flow but it is nice to have it I guess.

SPR

That sounds great, how close to the surface do you have the MP40s?

I don’t know if fish appreciate the variable flow but it is nice to have it I guess.
Probably about 7 inches down and the overall flow around the rocks is much better as well.

it was a bit of an experiment on placement to start because of the existing rock work and corals but the flow around the whole tank seems better now and the surface has plenty of movement and is back to crystal clear.

The MP40 on the right was sort of pointing into the side of the rockwork whereas know its above the top of the right hand rocks, which is probably why the overflow through is better.

SPR

In about 6 weeks time were having a new friend to come and join the family.

its been around 4 years since we lost our best friend Charlie, he was my first dog and we all loved him to bits and were absolutely devastated when he passed. He was a Labrador and virtually pure white. Infact looking at this picture I have tears in my eyes bless him.......

C89B8556-F57E-47FE-9F16-F0D33DADE547.jpeg

These area around 2 weeks old and in around another 2 weeks we go and choose which one, how I do not know because there all adorable, but we are having a male. There Fox Red Labradors from a pedigree blood line.

0435E6B6-E01B-421D-9C39-19809A4C566D.jpeg F54E5157-FA21-48AB-9B57-12DD4EB10519.jpeg

SPR

The X Filter 1.7 has been in place for around 7 weeks and is brilliant, I can’t praise it enough. It’s so simple to use. Infact I haven’t touched it apart from an occasional wipe of the optical sensor when I’m fiddling with things.

The media role is the first one, 32 micron and I’m guessing there’s about another weeks worth of use out of this, so in a new tank it will have lasted nearly 2 months. The next rolls are all 25 micron.

8156D28B-ACBB-40CC-A43D-56515B3FBB8A.jpeg

Nobbygas

I see that there is some 'sand' on the bottom? I assume this is just fines from the new sand which you'll always get. In time that should stop.

SPR

I see that there is some 'sand' on the bottom? I assume this is just fines from the new sand which you'll always get. In time that should stop.
I thinks it’s actually brown dust from diatoms and the back wall as the tanks new. I’ve actually got a chunk of filter floss in one of the final chambers to catch any residual dust.

Its very fine but the 25 micron will catch a bit more when I put it in.

SPR

Oh and I’ve been to the LFS again today, yes again, even before I posted what I got a few days ago.

And the nasty man there said those words that no addict wants to hear. ”tomorrow afternoon were having our first delivery of Acropora, you know the really colourful types following the lifting of the Indonesian coral ban”!!

Then I spotted this

https://reefbuilders.com/2020/01/09/indonesian-cultured-corals-are-back/

My name is Shaun and I’m .............

SPR

That is where I am lucky because very few people in the fish shops here speak English, so they cannot tempt me!

What have you got then?
I can’t remember! Lol

A ‘wavy coral’, a big organ/red brain coral and a few other ones. Oh a blue one as well. Acropora ‘blue’!

I’ll post pictures later

Nobbygas

I can’t remember! Lol

A ‘wavy coral’, a big organ/red brain coral and a few other ones. Oh a blue one as well. Acropora ‘blue’!

I’ll post pictures later
You can't say "I can't remember"! You've got to be all professional now. You should have said, "rather than give you the wrong name I shall have to use my extensive library to pinpoint the correct name for the coral."....and then you could have just made something up, and nobody would have been any wiser! Acorpora Blue could become Acropora Galactic Blue or something.....

and please, this is a family site. We don't want to hear any talk about your big organ.

SPR

You can't say "I can't remember"! You've got to be all professional now. You should have said, "rather than give you the wrong name I shall have to use my extensive library to pinpoint the correct name for the coral."....and then you could have just made something up, and nobody would have been any wiser! Acorpora Blue could become Acropora Galactic Blue or something.....

and please, this is a family site. We don't want to hear any talk about your big organ.
I’ve wrote 2 of them down! Lol

I’ll post some pictures later, I might go again today, but to the other LFS so they don’t think I’m a lunatic! Lol

Nobbygas

I’ve wrote 2 of them down! Lol

I’ll post some pictures later, I might go again today, but to the other LFS so they don’t think I’m a lunatic! Lol
Ha, ha, I've done the same. I've bought a fish in one shop, and for whatever reason it has died with a day or two. When that happens I just cannot go back to the original shop to buy another one. I have to source one from somewhere else !

SPR

You may recall I said I don’t buy large coral colonies...... well I couldn’t help myself...... It was sat in the tank with 2 others begging me to take it home........

So here’s a picture and I purchased it a few days ago, oh and one of the yellow tangs who isn’t camera shy!

This coral is called a Symphyllia coral (not the Wilsoni type). See I’m getting better, I wrote it down! Lol

0CFE9937-F047-4A4C-9F96-C9637813111C.jpeg 39E36D54-3C24-40BF-A3C0-007ACC282D3D.jpeg

Nobbygas

You may recall I said I don’t buy large coral colonies...... well I couldn’t help myself...... It was sat in the tank with 2 others begging me to take it home........

So here’s a picture and I purchased it a few days ago, oh and one of the yellow tangs who isn’t camera shy!

This coral is called a Symphyllia coral (not the Wilsoni type). See I’m getting better, I wrote it down! Lol

View attachment 50089 View attachment 50090
Very nice colour !
You just know what will happen next? You will see a fish in the LFS that you just have to take home. You'll buy that fish, pop him in the tank and he will head straight to that coral and eat it ! Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news. It is one of the unfortunate things with our hobby in that everything wants to eat/kill everything else! People always say that an aquarium is so peaceful and relaxing but they are unaware that in that tank WW3 is taking place !