Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

I changed my rhowaphos about 5 days ago and the reactor has clogged up again already!

You know when you do something really stupid, and have been doing it for a while........

I’ve always rinsed the rhowaphos in the reactor by turning it on and emptying the brown water into a 5 litre jug. Which is one of the ways they tell you to do it by the way.

Well I think every time I do this it’s blocking the sponge at the top of the reactor with fines and massively reducing the time before it clogs. And I’ve always done this and thought it was the input hose blocking. But I think it’s the sponge on the outlet...... I put a new clean sponge in and it worked again without me touching anything else....

To think of all that expensive rhowaphos I’ve wasted........

Mmmm

Collo

That’s what I’m going to start doing.

How do you do it, do you have a mesh bag or something ?

very lazily tbh, I have a small (maybe 5l) bucket, I put the rowa in the bottom, maybe 1/4 fill with water, swirl it around and pour off the fines and rusty coloured water, do it once more and then spoon it out, the large particles stay in the bottom, the fines come out with the water I pour off. only take a couple of mins

Pancho75

There are a few rumours circulating that Radion are not happy with the new ReefLED's as they claim that their technology has been 'copied'. As I said, just rumours.
This is the first review I see for the Red Sea LED. They seem to be good although I would not switch from AI as I very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Shaun, here's one I want to throw at you. In our current tanks we've kept the backwalls clean, and one of the reasons is the water outlets and returns from the circulation pumps.
Now, in your (possible) new tank have you given any thought to covering the rear wall entirely with rock? The reason I ask is that when diving, the majority of the time you dive with a 'wall' on one side. You will still have normal rock lumps etc. The picture below is a sort of example of what I mean.. There are a lot of corals that you could place on a back wall like this.

7ba26f0b878c5dd3b35f2f075e110c9e.jpg

SPR

Shaun, here's one I want to throw at you. In our current tanks we've kept the backwalls clean, and one of the reasons is the water outlets and returns from the circulation pumps.
Now, in your (possible) new tank have you given any thought to covering the rear wall entirely with rock? The reason I ask is that when diving, the majority of the time you dive with a 'wall' on one side. You will still have normal rock lumps etc. The picture below is a sort of example of what I mean.. There are a lot of corals that you could place on a back wall like this.

7ba26f0b878c5dd3b35f2f075e110c9e.jpg

I’ve actually just seen a build thread, I think on R2R, were someone has put rockwork along the back wall like that, and also the sides and it looked quite nice and I can imagine it would provide a lot of surface area for coral placement

In our tanks I think it could be an issue because of the water inlets/outlets as you say.

I still haven’t got the overflow combs. ‘Fritz’ wouldn’t post them to me, but I have in the last few days emailed Red Sea UK customer support and also had a reply with the full parts numbers and have requested my main Red Sea LFS orders them for me so hopefully this will get sorted.

Thank you for your kind previous offer by the way, but if I can sort it, I can avoid bothering you with it

I still haven’t decided on the new tank. One day it’s on, then I think do I really want to start from scratch. My mother’s always said if your unsure even slightly don’t do it, and I’ve always stuck with this, otherwise i might regret it. So I’m still undecided.

I’m at a stage in life were I can travel at will (you may have noticed!! Lol), so do I want something more to worry about.... but then I think how cool would that be..... but then I think my tank is beautiful, easy to maintain these days so....

SPR

Oh the joy, Ive finally ordered these thanks to Red Sea UK Customer Support and Charterhouse Aquatics who I buy lots from. I should have gone this route in the first place although the route I went should have sorted it.

Max S 650 Weir Comb SP4120A7 Kit MS650 V2 7 pieces

And they cost £7 in total and are due to arrive beginning of August

How happy am I!

Nobbygas

Oh the joy, Ive finally ordered these thanks to Red Sea UK Customer Support and Charterhouse Aquatics who I buy lots from. I should have gone this route in the first place although the route I went should have sorted it.

Max S 650 Weir Comb SP4120A7 Kit MS650 V2 7 pieces

And they cost £7 in total and are due to arrive beginning of August

How happy am I!
I was surprised at how cheap they are. The outlet covers are pretty cheap as well at about 2.50 Euros each. Well worth the small outlay to make cleaning a lot easier.