shark pond question

Cartman89

Just curious, are these saltwater safe. Plan on doing this inside apartment this summer supported by bricks if it's okay. Since I can get water, sand, other equipment for free since i work at the school.

Luukosian

You must have a nice landlord to let you get away with a 260 gallon shark pond in your apartment.

mps9506

I used to work for a company that makes these. These are NOT designed to be used on bricks or above ground, they need to be buried. using these un supported will result in cracks and leaks.
A fiberglass tub is more suited for a shark pond, and will allow for proper plumbing to be installed without the issue of leaks.
Regardless a shark pond in an apartment is pushing it... Keep in mind humidity and circulation that the heat/ac will be seeing. My one bedroom apartment in college didn't do so hot with a 40 gallon reef, I could only imagine what 260 gallons of water would have done...

Cartman89

Thanks for the advice. I was talking to the landlord of the apartments and they really didn't care. As far as ponds, I'm still looking @ which ones will be best. I know the school as 5ft X4ft square fiberglass cubes. Anyways I still have a lot of time to think about this...

mps9506

Since you are in Fl. you have several sources for indoor ponds that would be better for above ground installation. I would suggest checking out Aquatic Ecosystems and maybe a few of the local wholesalers for older holding tanks.
I don't know what type of sharks you plan on keeping, but the tanks we used for QT of local shark species was approximately 50'x20'... :D
Reinforced fiberglass would be more suitable for above ground installation than the plastic ponds that are made for in ground installation. Al;so much easier to drill for circulation and filtration purposes.

What species are you looking at keeping?

ZAPCOnj

Beckett ponds had a DIY project on their site a while back that used Red Bricks and pond liner to achieve a "Japanese red brick indoor pond". I cant find the link now but the principal was simple.

• Measure your space. and figure out how high you want your pond to be
  • calculate the amount of red bricks you need. (then go buy your red bricks)
  • mark out your space, sweep the floor and start laying your brick making sure the seams are offset.
  • when you get to the desired height (one brick layer short) lay in the liner making sure to press the liner in to the "floor" corners to help prevent "stretching"
  • Once your liner is positioned place an adhesive (liquid nails maybe?) under the lip of the liner and press firmly on the red brick under. Repeat the process all the way around the liner (note: the liner can over hang the red brick as you will trim it off later)
  • after you "glue" the liner, you can place your last one or two layers of brick on top.
  • When you're done you can trip the lip of the liner so you can't see it.

you can also design in a lip for filtration into one end using a water fall or something. building your pond this way would allow you to forgo the sand and allow you to make various designs. It's important to make sure the liner is pressed in to the corners so that the stress from the water pulling on the sides is minimized.

anyway, these are the steps i remember... there may be something missing but this should get you on your way... There are a few LFS here locally who have done the same basic thing for shark ponds in their stores. I plan on putting in a large Koi pond in my Mothers yard this spring using the same technique (nice mothers day present)

make sure the floor can support the weight you are planning to put on it.

GL and post some pics if you decide to do it.