Sexing a Bluespot

new reefer 03

its called breeding...

i would assume that if you can keep 2 bluspots in a tank together with pristine ater quality, and feed them well they would spawn within a year.

By sexing he means distinguishing the difference between a male and female.

I have no idea so I'll bump this up for the BSJ Club'ers

RyanG

No its called sexing, I want to know how to differentiate between males and females. When I can tell the difference then I can possibly breed them. Im not a complete moron, lol.

All I can think of now is the Colour Me Bad sond "I wanna sex you up"

SeahorseBT

its called breeding...

i would assume that if you can keep 2 bluspots in a tank together with pristine ater quality, and feed them well they would spawn within a year.
You can't just randomly just put them in a tank together. Two males will fight to the death. It may take much longer than a year as well.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
There is no sexual dimorphism in this species. During breeding season however, males will have color changes that sets them apart from the females. When displaying for the female, the upper half of the males body will turn white. Take a look at this video borrowed from Lorraine's (Bluespotjawfish) thread "Lorraine's Bluespot Heaven". Pairing them is a crap shoot.

RyanG

I guess that is what I was getting at, I was wondering what one had to know to be able to keep two BSJF in one tank.

bluespotjawfish

As for sexing them...I'm not sure, but there are a lot of differences between these two. Not sure if that is because of the individuals or because of the sex. There colors are different (the male has bolder colors, the female has some black/grey color in the head), how they act are different (the male is more aggressive), and the heads/mouth are different (the male has a larger head/mouth).

If you plan to breed them, I would recommend a tank where they are the ONLY fish.

Two males will fight to the death, so you need a plan in place in case you end up with two makes. You could also end up with two females, who would likely adapt to each other, provided the tank size is not too small.

My male has been flashing for a while. About 4 months last fall, then he moved and stopped doing it until now. When he has been flashing it is when the two of them our housed about a foot apart from each other. I got a ton of video of BJ and the Misses yesterday that I will be posting in my Bluespot Heaven thread. Here's a teaser:

The Misses
P1110395.jpg

BJ Flashing
P1110397.jpg

BJ When He Is Not Flashing
P1110077.jpg

Video BJ and the Misses (the Misses is in the upper right corner of the tank)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Lorraine, The Misses is really keeping an eye on Mr. BJs show , but it looks like her gills are flared. Is that what I'm seeing?

lcstorc

I have two in a 90g tank and they pretty much ignore each other. Their dens are as far away from each other as possible. I suspect they may both be females and therefore tolerate each other instead of fighting as 2 males would or hanging out together as a pair would.
There has been some speculation that the males have a larger jaw since they are mouth brooders.
If you are going to combine them I would do it with care and caution. My LFS put two in adjoining cubes only to come back 10 minutes later to find only one alive and the other on that side of the cube.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
The only way to compare mouth and head size is by comparing two individuals of the same age side by side. It is not a reliable means for determining sex.

BarbMazz

Lorraine, that last video is just awesome! It does look like the Misses is flaring her gills.

Your sixline? really zooms through there, too! :D

bluespotjawfish

The Misses is reacting to all the other fish that are between her and BJ - the six line, Pyle Wrasse, CBB, clowns, anthias, yellow watchman, pink bar goby, and even the chromis want in on this action. I think the digging stirs up some good stuff and the flashing makes them all think it is feeding time.

The Misses typically hangs out and is peaceful in the bottom corner of the tank or in the rocks just above it. Fish swim by/through this area all day long (except the Palani and Yellow Tang who are too big). Occasionally she will flare her gills at them. She does seem much more interested in what BJ is up to this time around. In their other location she just ignored him.

BJ has to flare his gills now and then at the gobys. You can see in some of the videos how close they are to him. They are mean, but at this point I think they all have developed a healthy respect for each other.